DELOS Binoviewing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ybor

ybor

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

I have read some very good reviews on the Delos eyepieces .
Has anyone Binoviewed with the Delos eyepieces ?
If yes , please let me know the Delos that you used , the binoviewer and what were your impressions on the eyepiece .

Thank You for your advice .

#2 jdbastro

jdbastro

Messenger

• Loc: W. Coast

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:47 AM

I have a pair of the 10mm, 17.3mm and just got a pair of the 12mm Delos.

I think all 3 pairs work very well on the moon and Jupiter. Sharp all the way across. Bright all the way across. My binoviewer is the AP/Baader Mark V.

I have also used Radians and Pentax XW's in my binoviewer. The Delos are just as good as the Pentax XW in my opinion.

For deep sky bino-viewing, these work well on bright open clusters, but anything dimmer becomes hard to see.
Better bet is to pick up a PVS-7 with a Gen3 Thin Film image intensifier and a c-mount to 1.25 inch diameter adapter.

#3 mhilscher

mhilscher

Vostok 1

• Loc: Cologne, Germany

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

I have a pair of 17.3 in a Maxbright, and they don't fit my eyes, the diameter is too large...it was an expensive test.

#4 mhilscher

mhilscher

Vostok 1

• Loc: Cologne, Germany

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:50 AM

The Delos experince, with with long ER is something you have to get use to, now for sale

#5 mark8888

mark8888

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

I binoview with the 10mm Delos and Mark V.
To be honest I prefer binoviewing with smaller, wide field eyepieces with less ER, like the 24pans, 16T5, 13T6, because I find it more immersive. HOWEVER I binoview with the Delos often while solar viewing... the ease of seeing the field stop and less immersive feeling works as an advantage on the sun, for me. Also, I have the 9T6 but don't find it to be a great eyepiece, so on targets other than the sun I will sometimes go to the 10mm Delos rather than the 9T6. Basically though after the experience of the 10mm Delos I'm out of the market for the Delos in other focal lengths. Very good view and feel for the sun, but otherwise but I wish it were a little bit wider and with 5mm less ER.

#6 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

The combined weight of two 17.3mm Deloi in my binoviewers caused my FS102 focuser to visibly sag, probably throwing off the collimation slightly, so they were an expensive lesson for me as well. And those are the smallest Deloi.

#7 HowardK

HowardK

Apollo

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

I use a pair of 14 Delos in my baader mk v's on a 140 mm apo with a denk power switch giving me approx X100, X140 and X210

I have winged eyecups and a dark appareil hooded waistcoat....i love the eye relief and those great big lenses....very comfortable...

The hooded waistcoat is a must have imo....deep pockets for eyepieces and an oversized hood to block out all light

#8 John F

John F

Viking 1

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:53 PM

[quote name="mark8888"]To be honest I prefer binoviewing with smaller, wide field eyepieces with less ER, like the 24pans, 16T5, 13T6, because I find it more immersive./quote]

I'm like you in that I prefer the 24&19pans, 16T5, and the various T6 Naglers for binoviewing. On a couple of occasions I've tried binoviewing with pairs of 13mm & 10mm Ethos eyepieces and while I found the view they provided to be spectacular in some ways, but I could'nt get used to it and found it uncomfortable to observe with for any length of time. I also don't miss the weight problems that go with those larger eyepieces when you need to use two of them in a binoviewer. With the smaller Panoptics and Naglers they provide more than a wide enough field of view and I don't have any problems using them.

John Finnan

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics