• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

Hi,

I got a nice look at Jupiter this morning under good conditions. Sketch and report are here.

#2 drbyyz

drbyyz

Ranger 4

• **---

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

Awesome sketch and report! I spent a little time with Jupiter last night as well..Stayed up late just to watch Europa get eclipsed. Not the best seeing at the time, but still fun to watch.

#3 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

The seeing was quite good at the ASH Naylor Observatory last night. Using the 17" f/15 classical Cassegrain, I had some fine views of Jupiter, including witnessing Europa going into eclipse and a Great Red Spot transit. I was able to see the GRS as it rounded Jupiter's limb. Some detail was visible within the GRS at 259x (25mm University Optics MK-70 with a Hoya 85B filter) as it neared the CM.

I also looked at a sprinkling of DSOs, including M78, M42, M43, M35 and NGC 2158, M103, NGC 1023 (through the 5" f/5 finder scope and the 17"), and M45. I was unable to see NGC 1058, a rather faint Seyfert Type 2 Sc III-IV galaxy in Perseus that I had observed through a fellow CAS member's 17.5" TeleKit Dob from a dark site on Thursday night, due to the increasingly light-polluted skies at Lewisberry.

http://www.noao.edu/...vers/n1058.html

http://www.astrohbg....atory_info.html

Dave Mitsky

#4 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

Michael,

Great sketch of Jupiter with the GRS. I enjoyed reading your description of the belts and zones with their colors. The next 2 months are going to be very interesting with the opposition occurring.

Thanks for posting. Dean

#5 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

Thanks, folks. :)

@ drbyyz and Dave--watching the dance of the Gaillean moons is as fun as watching anything else about Jupiter, yes?

@ Dave--really sorry to hear about the increasing light pollution at one of your observing sites. Definitely an issue that needs to be addressed by all of us.

@ Dean--I'm seeing so much more color with my big Cat than I did with my C8 I may need to start adding color to my sketches. I've always in the past been one of those people who couldn't see too much color. :cool:

#6 george golitzin

george golitzin

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:36 PM

Great sketch Michael, and good call on the colors--I was seeing something very similar, not quite as sharp, about the same time in my 18--you've rendered it very faithfully.

-geo.

#7 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

Ed, yea color is elusive for me with just 6" of aperture, it is more apparent at times than others. Often I have to de-saturate my sketches to get the amount of color just right erring to the side of showing a bit more so folks do not have to strain to see it.

A C14 should show color better. Try adding color, Michael. It really is an exercise to get it right and present just the right amount of saturation. Plus, I promise you, you will being to notice something strange about what it means to be "white." Maybe some double star observing will help, it does me...is that star just plain envelope white or does it have a yellow hue to it?

#8 drbyyz

drbyyz

Ranger 4

• **---

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

Had an excellent night of Jupiter seeing last night. Pointed the scope there just for fun at around 10PM and was amazed at the level of detail I was getting. Cranked it up to about 200x and it was unbelievable. I've never been able to get a good, clearly focused view at that high of power before. It was pretty unreal. Called the wife outside and she was able to see the GRS for the first time, really cool experience!

#9 OldDeadOne

OldDeadOne

Apollo

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

I need to go to a Observatory and view Jupiter through a large scope for once in my life(better view of the GRS) and a bunch of galaxies to boot.

#10 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

I also took a look at the GRS last night. The seeing was just fair, but it was clearly seen.

#11 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

Thanks to all.

Norme, I agree--the EZ is not really "white". It's not really "bright" either--maybe because it's so big but I wouldn't describe it as dull.

Seeing the GRS is not difficult if the seeing cooperates and you are not looking for something dark and red. It is always very cool to see it, no matter what its appearance. :cool:

@ Bert--Fayette County is not far from here--maybe you should come and visit.

#12 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

Ed, yea color is elusive for me with just 6" of aperture, it is more apparent at times than others. Often I have to de-saturate my sketches to get the amount of color just right erring to the side of showing a bit more so folks do not have to strain to see it.

A C14 should show color better. Try adding color, Michael. It really is an exercise to get it right and present just the right amount of saturation. Plus, I promise you, you will being to notice something strange about what it means to be "white." Maybe some double star observing will help, it does me...is that star just plain envelope white or does it have a yellow hue to it?

I haven't had the time to observe Jupiter this season but in past seasons I've gotten the impression of the EZ haveing a faint bluish hue to it. I attbibute this hue to unresolved details within the EZ (festoons?).

Rich (RLTYS)

#13 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

There have been some very prominent, long, thin festoons. Not sure what is happening that gives the EZ it's hue. Just a lot of action in the zone with some pale yellowish clouds.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics