• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cheshire, UK

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:49 AM

It's all magic. As Todd, says, I can't believe what we can do from the ground these days. I shot some DSOs the other night and spent some time visually observing Jupiter while the DSOs were running. I love visual observing - it is what I did primarily for over 25 years. However, it was obvious that, even on a decent night, there was nothing close to the detail visible in the scope as in these images.

Here is the first image of the thread re-done with Space Cowboy's LD "trick".

Love this image Paul its an absolute peach!

#27 Sunspot

Sunspot

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

Very nice!!

Paul

#28 mikotoy

mikotoy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

I wish I could get a blue that clear! Awesome.

#29 MvZ

MvZ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

Good stuff!

#30 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley of the Sun

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

Great work Paul!

In performing WinJupos RGB derotation I found it best to first measure the green channel with the "automatic detection of outline frame" (use the F11 key or right click the image and select that as the first option). Its important that the North pole marker be in the correct hemisphere to start. If not rotate it using the 'N' key before doing the automatic detection. The blue channel is generally ok using the green channel orientation. However the red channel is a special case. Normally the automatic detection of the frame does not work well for the red channel as the belts are not as dark or contrasty in that channel. So leaving the orientation alone it can be beneficial to turn on the LD compensation checkbox and manually move the red image with the arrow keys to fit the planet within the outline frame. This is not always necessary, but in some cases I have found it to be. Perhaps thats why you have some of the limb coloration effects.

Hope this helps, if you already had discovered that, then great. Perhaps someone can find it useful. When it works well the WinJupos derotation of RGB images provides a very nice result.

Glenn

#31 bunyon

bunyon

Gemini

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

Hi Glenn,
Thanks. I think I'm a long (looooooooooooong) way from fully understanding how to use the WinJupos features. I'll take any tips I can get.

Getting a good measurement is a big concern of mine. It looks to me like there is more leeway in the outline than there (probably) is in the software itself. I'll try your method after lab.

#32 karlo

karlo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Yorkshire,UK, BLIGHTY !!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

feels like I missed the boat with these :(
wonderful images Paul !

#33 bunyon

bunyon

Gemini

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

Haven't had a chance to re-try measurement of the channels but I noticed I had two good shots at 10,200mm. I've combined these using WinJupos. It's a little better, especially, I think, in color.

Attached Files

#34 Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Soyuz

• Loc: Swift Creek, NC - 35.682 N, 78.743°W

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

Superb Paul.
I was out last nigh too. Alas, my collimation is still giving me trouble and my images look like they were shot with cotton over the scope. I'm dedicating tonight to working on the collimation. If that fails, I may have a "collimation party"... I've almost come to the realization that it might be a two person job on this scope. If so, I'll provide the beer and pizza... anyone wanting to help with the scope will be welcome!
Once again... excellent work.
Cheers

I'm down! I just got my kitchen-pass used up for the trek to see my beloved Panthers loose to the Bronco's.

Great shots Paul!

Mike

#35 Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Soyuz

• Loc: Swift Creek, NC - 35.682 N, 78.743°W

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

On WinJUPOS, here's the must read:

http://jupos.privat....e/rTipsMeas.htm

Mike

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics