• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 taki53

taki53

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: NY

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

I recently purchased a vixen ED 100 ST refractor from the classified section here and I'm having problems with the focuser. The :( :( advertisement said the scope was in mint condition. It arrived with dirt stains on the scope, the focuser can hardly turn and there were 3 cigarette butts in the box. Do I have any recourse? If anyone can give me any advise I would surely appreciate it. I feel I've been ripped off and I don't know what to do. Thanks.

#2 mgwhittle

mgwhittle

Apollo

• Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

Have you contacted the seller?

#3 taki53

taki53

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: NY

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:15 PM

I have and he has not replied.

#4 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

I hear some believe that cigatette butts make great dessicates! :foreheadslap: Mike

#5 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Gemini

• Loc: St. Louis area

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:33 PM

How much did it cost for the scope. Suggest a good cleaning...maybe take the focuser apart to see what is going on. Or loosen some screws (focuser lock screw?).

If all else fails, you could get a nice GSO focuser upgrade for 180ish with an adapter from scopestuff.com.

Good luck!

#6 mgwhittle

mgwhittle

Apollo

• Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:43 PM

I have and he has not replied.

If you have given him a reasonable amount of time and he hasn't responded then it does not look too promising. I disagree about trying to clean it up and fix it at this point. From your post I am assuming you want your money back? If you start doing any cleaning fixing then that will just muddy the waters over its condition as received. Any chance you paid with PayPal? If so you can open a dispute that the item was not as described.

#7 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: De Soto County, MS

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

Don't despair, as the conditions described seem superficial at worst. Take your time, without trying to picture dude in your mind, and slowly go over the scope, taking care of one issue at a time, patiently and thoroughly, and chances are it'll come out just fine. It doesn't sound like it was deliberately abused, just neglected. It's yours now. Make it YOUR baby.

I love restoring stuff like that, taking great pride in being able to reverse the effects of neglect and abuse.

I enjoy tobacco, but butts in the box? What a <bleep>!

#8 tomharri

tomharri

Messenger

• Loc: along the I-10 corridor

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:22 AM

Paypal buyer protection is a bad joke. I too received an ugly scope that looked great in the pictures. Ended up selling the parts off. Killed my interest in used stuff.

#9 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

.................... Killed my interest in used stuff.

buying used is always a gamble
but most sellers are fair

edj

#10 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

edj

Agreed. A good part of my equip is used; I'm very careful buying only from those with high ratings, and so far have been extremely happy with my purchases.

#11 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

edj

Nearly everthing here is secondhand and have only been disappointed a few times iout of many purchases mostly by poor packaging and a couple times the item condition wasn't as described.

And I believe a FACTUAL statement of what you received is appropriate in feedback to that seller.

#12 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

• Loc: At the Gym >Spudtastic<

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

I got burned twice on Ebay buying a laptop and a PDA. I sent them both back to the seller and demanded a refund and their Ad said accept no returns.. :grin:

I don't buy broken stuff!!!!!

#13 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

The advertisement said the scope was in mint condition.

I will never buy used unless I first can see and test the telescope.

#14 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

I recently purchased a vixen ED 100 ST refractor from the classified section here and I'm having problems with the focuser. The :( :( advertisement said the scope was in mint condition. It arrived with dirt stains on the scope, the focuser can hardly turn and there were 3 cigarette butts in the box. Do I have any recourse? If anyone can give me any advise I would surely appreciate it. I feel I've been ripped off and I don't know what to do. Thanks.

You need to rate this seller and state what happened in the rating so that the rest of us can avoid doing business with him.

#15 FaronD

FaronD

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond Hill, Ontario

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

I once purchased a used Astro-tech AT66 refractor. It was described as like new in mint condition. Once it arrived, it turned out to be absolutely filthy, from the case to the inside of the tube and lens. I disassembled the ota, cleaned everything carefully, the seller was correct, it looked just like new.
As for the focuser not functioning properly, this seems to be all too common. Download the manual and see if there are some adjustment instructions.
Butts in the box, now that's pathetic. I know exactly how you feel. If you payed by Paypal and don't want to keep it, you are protected.

Faron

#16 cloud_cover

cloud_cover

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

I'm sorry to hear you've had such a bad experience.
I'm not sure if you asked for pictures of the scope before shipping, but when you do buy your next scope, the pics are very important to document the original condition of the telescope.
I know its a real bummer to receive a "mint" object so drastically different from expected but here's some thoughts:
1. How are the optics? That's arguably the most important factor so check the lenses. Dust is fine as are small sleeks (hopefully not!) but there shouldn't be any chips, major scratches or fungus! Don't worry so much about the tube: its just a piece of aluminum piping. It can be cleaned up.
2. The focuser: Is there a tension screw somewhere? I know this sounds like the obvious but do check it out. The Vixen refractors I'm familiar with have a thumbscrew at the bottom.
If I'm not wrong, this is a Crayford focuser, which generally runs on friction. If the whole thing is truly jammed up, consider dismantling the focuser (or if you're not sure of what you're doing, ask an experienced club member to help you. After all, what is there to lose? :)) If the Crayford is well and truly jammed then either the focuser tube is bent (scope was dropped focuser end-first with tube extended) or there is debris in the focuser (cig again?)
At last resort, you can get a replacement focuser starting usually about $150-$175. Some folks have rated the GSO-branded ones as decent, or go whole hog and upgrade to the high-end Feathertouches or Moonlites.
Hope this helps!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics