More Jupiter

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:52 AM

Guys, maybe you can tell I have spent many nights with Jupiter in the last few weeks. It's been an amazing opportunity. Here's the latest sketch right before the GRS rounded the trailing limb.

One thing that struck me were the two white spots in the SEB. They were cleanly visible. I think the darker feature is a bit misplaced, but it was as good as I could place it. In the SEB, one can just see the leading GRS wake coming over the trailing limb and the tones of the SEB sweeping north toward the preceding limb.

Really, for the first time, I am beginning to see some faint tonal differences in the NEB toward the trailing northern edge. The "beacon" just stood out nicely. Not a lot of discernible rifts, however. (I think I misplaced the middle festoon, too. But, I have to stay true to my notes.)

On my notes, I noted a brighter spot in the NTrB. This belt had a darker, uneven, and thin northern boundary. A faint darker spot was noted near the NPR, and a partial faint belt in the STrZ.

10 Nov 1515UT beginning and CM sys 1 about 330. Seeing 8-9/10, transparency mag 4.5. UO 12mm HD Ortho, Celestron 2x Shorty Barlow giving 174x. Unfiltered.

Here's an image on ALPO showing CM 330.
http://alpo-j.asahik...12/j121110z.htm

Attached Files

#2 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

Norme, you have a very good eye for planetary detail. :bow:

Ed D

#3 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

I still don't know how you're catching all those details in such a short period of time. But whatever you are doing, keep doing it!

#4 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

Ed, thank you. Jupiter has been very pleasing.

Jason, been wondering myself. It seems Jupiter is better this year. It could be several reasons.

First, there is more to see this year. The festooning is more prominent and the rift in the NEB was not really apparent last year. Last year, the NEB sported a bunch of barges, but not much else. And the GRS wake was evident. This year, whoa!

Second, it's gotta be some experience and training. This is my second season observing Jupiter, followed by Mars and Saturn earlier this year. This season and last, I observed planets very frequently and almost exclusively.

The scope is perfectly collimated and cooled, and it's operating in nearly perfect seeing for a 6" aperture. So, those factors, plus a little effort and perseverance are really paying off.

I also suspect one modification to my scope is playing a role, too. But, it's hard to quantify. In fact, at first I was unsure if there was any improvement at all. But, there indeed might be.

Even when seeing drops to about 7/10 during some rough moments, they are so difficult to see. But, when the atmosphere just seems to freeze into place more often and for longer periods, they show up. But, it still takes a good while (about an hour) to really note all of those features. For example, it took several views to kind of see the NEB rift was indeed segmented and not one single feature.

But, all those features are, indeed, visible in a 6" aperture when it all falls together.

#5 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

Norme,

Very good sketch of Jupiter :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#6 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:34 PM

Norme,

Your Jupiter sketches continue to delight us all.
I hope you continue with your regular excellent captures.
Beautiful detailed sketching.

Frank :)

#7 stray1

stray1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:36 AM

Hi Norme,

I've been wondering about your Jupiter sketches (amazing BTW); are you actually able to see it that size in your EP or are you enlarging your sketches to bring out the detail?

:grin:

-stray-

#8 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:29 AM

Frank, thank you for saying so, that means a lot coming from gifted and experienced observers.

Stray, oh no, the eyepiece version is only at about 170x. If Jupiter were that large, I doubt anything would be visible. Yes, the sketch is enlarged. I try not to make it as difficult for you to see those details, that's my job. :)

And, thank you, BTW. If someone appreciates the sketch, it makes my enjoyment that much greater.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics