10 replies to this topic

#1 stray1

stray1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:56 AM

Hello!

I am a noob when it comes to star sketching (heck, I’m a noob at astronomy period); however, I recently purchased an Orion Astroview 90mm telescope with this type of artwork in mind. This evening, after several attempts at splitting some doubles for the Sissy Haas project, I settled in for an easier set of objects. My method at the EP is to simply scribble down basic placements and notes on magnitude, etc. to be later re-“drawn” using Paint.NET.

I am presenting this with the hope that more experienced artists will offer unbiased critique and suggestions for improvement. While my intent is to portray “realistic” renditions of what I actually see through my eyepiece, at this early stage I am not so much concerned with technical perfection (measurements, etc) as I am with someone who is familiar with these objects to be able to recognize them when they view one of my sketches.

That being said, can you recognize what I have “drawn” here?

Thanks,

:grin:

-stray-

Attached Files

#2 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:45 AM

Orion Nebula and the Trapezium. Not too shabby. :)

How did your get the nebula appearance in paint.net? Blur? Try sketch paint, it has more artistic features. Download at upper left.
http://www.onemotion...h/sketch-paint/

#3 stray1

stray1

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

Yes, the Trapezium is correct :grin:

The nebula effect was achieved through multiple layers of white, black, and grey lines, blotches, etc. that I then blurred with a filter.

Thank you for the link to the sketching page. I'll check that out!

-stray-

#4 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

nice refined technique in blending.. listen to norme he's gotten quite seasoned with digital painting. I tried it then tossed the idea. got my new pastels up on a shelf waiting. at anyrate digital illustratikn lends itself wonderfully to astronomical pursuits.

pete

#5 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

I tried paint for sketching planets, but just could not easily get those softer tones. Sketch paint is a simple program with so much power to do just that. Play with it, I think you'll like what it can do. Actually, you can still use paint to do some stars, apply layers, etc. Use both.

#6 stray1

stray1

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

I tried paint for sketching planets, but just could not easily get those softer tones. Sketch paint is a simple program with so much power to do just that. Play with it, I think you'll like what it can do. Actually, you can still use paint to do some stars, apply layers, etc. Use both.

Norme,

Agreed. Thanks again!

-stray-

Attached Files

#7 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

Stray, now that's a great look! Beautiful perspective. I like the delicate limb shading, too.

#8 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

Really nice sketch of Jupiter. :waytogo: For a noob at observing and sketching you're doing well. Keep at it.

Ed D

#9 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:15 PM

Both great sketches, Stray! I love the Jupiter illustration. I'm a sucker for "eyepiece view" planetary images.

#10 stray1

stray1

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:45 AM

Thank you to all who commented on my work. I am truly flattered :D

After taking another look at these sketches of mine, I'm sort of torn over which way to go with this--technical or artistic? I'm leaning toward the later as my equipment currently does not allow for uninterrupted viewing (no RA tracking...constantly having to adjust).

In that sense, I am working like an "Impressionist"--that is, set up my easel and draw or "paint" really fast before my composition changes (or in my case, drifts out of the EP).

Not having to worry about technical correctness would take some of the pressure off but, at the same time, I want to produce work that if someone wants to view the object for themselves, it'll appear as a "close enough" representation.

Plus, I want to have fun with this too.

-stray-

#11 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

stray,

Nice sketch of Jupiter :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,