Oberwerk Wooden Tripod

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 m00nless

m00nless

Messenger

• -----

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

Is it possible to attach an equatorial head (for example a Celestron CG-5) on an Oberwerk Wooden Tripod? Is there an adapter available to allow this?

#2 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

Universal Astronomics might have such an adapter, but you need to call.

That said, the CG-5 2" steel leg tripod(if you have it) is more stable than the Oberwerk wooden tripod which I consider to be medium duty tripod.

#3 m00nless

m00nless

Messenger

• -----

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

That said, the CG-5 2" steel leg tripod(if you have it) is more stable than the Oberwerk wooden tripod which I consider to be medium duty tripod.

Do you know if the CG-5 tripod is available to purchase new?

#4 hottr6

hottr6

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

I thought the Oberwerk tripod was a "surveyors" class tripod? If so, and it is like my wood surveyor's tripod, it is much better than the S/S tube-tripod that came with my CG5-clone. I sold the S/S tube-tripod. Here is an older thread about the Oberwork and CG5 head: Click here

I have the UA adapter and it works well, although it is overpriced for what it is.

Attached Files

#5 hottr6

hottr6

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

The downsides of the surveyors tripod is that it is a lot heavier, and without a leg brace, is very, very awkward to carry. However, when I use it with my 'fracs and the legs are extended, I can easily hoist it on my shoulder.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=PRyMyudmdiQ

Attached Files

#6 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

That's definitely a Surveyors tripod that Oberwerk use to sell. I have the original Oberwerk wooden tripod and a cosmetically updated Jarrah version.

Do you know if the CG-5 tripod is available to purchase new?

You'll have to call your favorite Celestron dealer and see if they will sell or order you one, could cost you $299 or more.

The Vixen HAL 130 tripod(GP/GPD2) version, load wise,is a rough equivalent to CG-5, but is more portable due to the collapsible spreader and is compatible with the CG-5 head( least mine is) and seen them for $249.

The Oberwerk wooden tripod may still be an option as long you don't use a big ota that can cause more vibration than the tripod can effectively dampen.

Attached Files

#7 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

BTW, Universal Astronomic does sell a heavy duty surveyors tripod that Larry can convert to use with the CG-5 head.

http://universalastr...WOOD_TRIPOD.JPG

#8 bobhen

bobhen

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

Is it possible to attach an equatorial head (for example a Celestron CG-5) on an Oberwerk Wooden Tripod? Is there an adapter available to allow this?

I use just such a combination. I purchased an adapter from Universal Astronomics and mounted my CG5 non GOTO mount to the Oberwerk wooden tripod. The Oberwerk tripod is lighter but still holds my CG5 mount and my Tak 120 just as steadily as the standard steel CG5 tripod. The Oberwerk also collapses cleaner. And because it’s wood, it’s easier to handle in cold weather. I’ve been using that combination for 3 years and would not go back to using the standard steel tripod. I think it looks better too.

Bob

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics