Motorized mounts and cold temperatures

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Harry.C

Harry.C

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

I have a CGEM DX and plan to head out shooting for the first time tonight (roughly -25 C/-13 F). I can't really find much information about whether I'm in for problems with temperatures this low and was wondering if anyone had experience/advice they could share?

My biggest concern is having the centre support rod that holds the head on the tripod freeze in place, as I would have no way to get my equipment home if this were to happen.

#2 Dwight J

Dwight J

Apollo

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

The mount will work fine - your camera, if it is a DSLR on battery may be a different story. I have imaged at -25C and found it very uncomfortable. I was frozen by the time I had set up and all the cables were stiff as a board. YMMV.

#3 Harry.C

Harry.C

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

The mount will work fine - your camera, if it is a DSLR on battery may be a different story. I have imaged at -25C and found it very uncomfortable. I was frozen by the time I had set up and all the cables were stiff as a board. YMMV.

Thanks Dwight. I've got 4 batteries and lots of experience shooting at extreme cold temperatures so I know the challenge for sure. It's good to know the mount will work however.

#4 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

Harry,

I dunno if we ever were that cold last year, but my CGEM survived a SD winter just fine. I'd say the minus teens were realistic however. She sounded a little funny but once the electronics/motors warmed up I didn't notice any issues with GOTO or tracking. Like Dwight said, the cables were frozen stiff within minutes of getting them outside. I wrapped my cables and made an electronics box to support the power strip, USB hub, and other gear so I could quickly get outside and setup and back inside. I'd focus with a bhatinov mask and run back inside to image :).

Good luck!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics