Comets,etc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OldDeadOne

OldDeadOne

Apollo

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

I haven't been on here on cloudy nights too much since I've been having different health problems the last couple of years starting with a "frozen" shoulder and now with my hearing problems(soon to be solved I hope).Anyways I was checking out Obsession telescopes website and saw mention of a comet that might prove to be spectacular next year. Have I missed out on any comets that were bright enough with a tail to be viewed with a binocular?? I think when things get back to normal for me I'm going to wheel out my 10" Classic. I need to see Jupiter again and the galaxies and nebulas...

#2 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

There are actually two coming next year that have potential -- PANSTARRS in March and ISON in November. Gotta be there for these!

#3 OldDeadOne

OldDeadOne

Apollo

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

I know about ISON(per obsession website) so the Pars one I will have to check out next March. I hope neither one disappoints!

#4 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:26 AM

You also have C/2012 F6 Lemmon which could reach 5th or 6th mag this spring.

Rich (RLTYS)

#5 Tonk

Tonk

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:31 AM

Pannstars is looking like it will under perform compared to its early hype. Expect to see it at mag 4 or 5 in March in dark skies. It will initially brighter but it will be in significant twilight and setting early during its brightest period.

Also see my post on C/2012 K5 (LINEAR) - that will be a good binnocular object in January

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics