CGEM...RTC...again

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Alan S

Alan S

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

Now this is a new one on me...I hibernated my mount and when I woke it up, (after a few days), it had the time wrong but the date correct! Occasionally, the RTC fails on me, but usually the time and date both need to be re-set...

Anyone have this happen to them?

#2 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:56 PM

I haven't! :) Assuming it was at like a default value like 12:00am 1/1/1990 or something similarly far off, it's probably the RTC battery. While I never replaced mine; it sounded easy enough. I believe you unscrew the 'power' panel and it's hiding back there.

Good luck! :)

#3 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

Was it off by an hour? There was the time change...

#4 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:57 AM

Alan,

Given that your temporary fix would indicate that there may be a connection problem with the battery. It could just be some oxidation or perhaps a problem with the board.

That gets us back to the 'Remove the panel' scenario we talked about before or send it to Celestron repair. How much longer is your warranty good for? The board is very pricey for the CGEM. $342.00

Stan

#5 Alan S

Alan S

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

Hi Stan-

Warranty period is until mid-May. I think the problem may actually be the battery holder...the battery is not as snug as it should be, compared to my other CGEM. I can stick my finger in there and slightly jiggle the battery.

To be honest, I am not inclined to send the mount back to Celestron, but if there is a board issue...wow those are pricey!

Alan

#6 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

Well you need to take the control panel off and look and see what you can find. I'm thinking it could be a simple fix. I have faith in you. Just do it. (Now or after warranty)

Stan

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics