19 replies to this topic

#1 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

I am not sure what to make of this one. Asterism Observing Pin

I looked at the list of "objects." I think I had heard of maybe 10 or 12 of them. Without knowing what some of these look like, this is going to be hard.

Here is a link to the actual Astro League page...
http://astroleague.o...serving-program

Anyone want to be first for this one?

#2 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

I have been waiting for this to post. It looks like fun and I am ready to go.

#3 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

Well Cliff you will have to keep us updated on here of your progress. I am in the middle of the H400 and Carbon Stars so this one is going to have to wait.

I see your the Lunar II coordinator, I started that one several years ago, I really need to finish it when I have the time. I haven't been a genuine lunar observer in a while. I always enjoyed the Moon and have had some memorable observations of it.

#4 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

I managed enough of the messiers to get my certificate, but never finished it either.
Im no longer an active memer at large , due to several things happening, pretty much all at once.
I8d like to rejoin, though, I presume Ill have to start all over on the messier program?.

#5 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:04 PM

I managed enough of the messiers to get my certificate, but never finished it either.
Im no longer an active memer at large , due to several things happening, pretty much all at once.
I8d like to rejoin, though, I presume Ill have to start all over on the messier program?.

You wouldn't have to start all over to get your pin.

#6 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

I am working the HII list but it is nice to work several clubs at a time so there is some work all the time for my precious observing time. No need to restart the list, there is no time limit on any of the observing programs. Preston, I do lunar work from the house a red zone and save the dark sites for the rest. You might want to try it.

#7 JakeSaloranta

JakeSaloranta

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Finlandia

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

If this is an asterism list, why does it contain so many open clusters? And you got E.T. Cluster designated as NGC 451 just to name one.

I also have to admit, I've never seen such a horrible collection of nicknames in my entire amateur astronomy career: you got handguns, poodles, phaser guns, vases and rings... oh my :D

It would be far more simple to name the asterisms according to their brightest star then use the designation (although asterisms don't have official ones) and then names...

/Jake

#8 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

Why not give it a try and have fun with it? The names are the authors of the club so go see if you find the same asterisms.

#9 MessierScott

MessierScott

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

Andy Miller, certificate #2454, dated 3/30/2009.....

No, you do not have to start over. Just pick up where you left off after the 70+ you had completed. Be sure to send the entire logbook to me!

Before you submit the entire catalog, you have to be re-up as a Member at Large.

#10 City Kid

City Kid

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Indiana

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

Looks like it could be an interesting list to go through. I may have to start working on it.

#11 BillFerris

BillFerris

Soyuz

• Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

There are a number of northern naked eye asterisms that could be added to the list:

Northern Cross (Cygnus)
Summer Triangle (Altair, Deneb, Vega)
W (Cassiopeia)
Arrow (Sagitta)
Kite (Bootes)
Belt (Orion)
Parallelogram (Lyra)

Any others from the northern or southern sky?

Bill in Flag

#12 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern Missouri

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

If you don't know what it looks like, trying to make sense from just the RA & DEC will drive you crazy.

Sketches/pictures for most of the asterisms in the AL list can be found in two sources:

Pattern Asterisms - A New Way to Chart the Stars - John A. Chiravalle,Springer 2006

and Asterisms-Small Star Patterns for Telescopes and Binoculars
http://deepsky.waarn...s_EN_VER4.2.pdf

Having these two resources will may this list much easier.

#13 drbyyz

drbyyz

Ranger 4

• **---

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

Pattern Asterisms - A New Way to Chart the Stars - John A. Chiravalle,Springer 2006

This is available online here:

http://www.scribd.co...-Chart-the-S...

And I agree, it is almost essential in completing this list. I've started to plan out my attack on this list and some of the asterisms can only be found in this resource. Going to the RA and Dec just doesn't work. You won't be able to figure them all out without seeing what they are suppose to be.

As for my planning...are Davis' Dog and the Fish Hook in Taurus basically the same asterism???

#14 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:02 AM

For those interested the AL has finally released the program for Stellar Evolution.

Rich (RLTYS)

#15 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

I printed out the stellar evolution manual and log sheets yesterday and am ready to get started along with the Asterism program. Now all I need is some clear skies!

#16 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:03 AM

Just finished reading the manual, quite good.

Rich (RLTYS)

#17 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

I like the idea of the stellar evolution program. I give a presentatin every year to the Junior high astronomy club I lead and this program will prove interesting observing the objects I talk about. I am excited to get started.

#18 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

Finally started it last evening (1/9). Quite enjoyable.

Rich (RLTYS)

#19 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

I printed out the Stellar Evolution manual and agree that it's a good read. My wife gave me the Kaler book, "The Hundred Greatest Stars" for Christmas a few years ago and I have made it a point to look at a lot of them. Now I have another good reason. :)

My only disappointment is that SS Cygni isn't on the list. The manual talks about U Gem, but didn't add it because of its low magnitude. SS Cyg sits at 12.1 most of the time until it flares and that is doable with my TEC 140.

But it's a nice list anyway and I'll happily go look at these beautiful stars again.

Cheers,

Ron

#20 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

I saw the Stellar Evolution pin last week, that does look like a good one to do.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics