Questar Seven Folding Pier

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 TheQuestar7

TheQuestar7

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

Does anyone out there own a Questar Folding pier? I have a Fully mounted Seven with the fork mount and the legs that I use on a nice sturdy outdoor table and wondered how the Folding Pier is. I also have the 3.5 for quick looks as well and my Seven is very portable and quick to set up although heavy, but just checking to see how fast the set up is with the entire fully mounted Seven with the Folding Pier, weight, etc....set up is. Thanks!

#2 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

• Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

I can't help you with your question, but I just noticed your signature lines. Is there any chance of a family photo?

Keith

#3 TheQuestar7

TheQuestar7

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

Here is the family Q

Attached Files

#4 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

• Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:25 AM

Yeah, that's pretty impresive. The clearer photo of the Q7 starmap looks pretty impressive as well.

Keith

#5 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

Very nice indeed. :)

#6 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

I like your Q family!

And welcome to the CN Questar family yourself.

#7 TheQuestar7

TheQuestar7

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

Thanks!!

#8 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

To set up a Q7 on its tristand shouldn't take much longer than to set up your 3.5" Questar on its tristand, as they are currently both of the same design. The only difference would be in the few minutes extra needed to mount the OTA into the fork assembly.

With the 13" base of the fork mount, there is not much choice available for mounting; a custom wedge will be necessary. When I ordered our Q7, the only photo of a Q7 tristand I could find was an old one, which I later found out. I didn't like what I saw, so I passed on it. Had a current photo and information been accessable, I would have ordered one; a sale was lost.

If you like your tristand for the 3.5" Questar, the Q7 tristand should be an easy choice. It would be nice though, if the mount head only was available, as it once was.

#9 TheQuestar7

TheQuestar7

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

I love my TriStand.....is the Folding Pier different than the TriStand for the Seven? Thanks!

#10 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:28 AM

As I understand it, the terms tripod and tristand are interchangable, such as portable pier and folding pier.
Our Monolith is designated as a portable pier, however, it folds the same as a tripod or tristand. To me, the term pier is used to imply greater stability.

#11 TheQuestar7

TheQuestar7

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:43 AM

Do you have a wedge that you can use with your Particle Wave Monolith to put the Seven in a polar equatorial position? Can the Questar wedge/cradle be attached if needed? Is the setup heavy in terms of carrying out the Monolith with the fork mount then adding on the Seven tube assembly?

#12 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:22 AM

I'm awaiting the wedge from PWT, it will allow for up to 60*, presently we are at +52*; I dont plan on observing above the artic circle.
I'm not a youngster, so at a combined weight of about 85 pounds, minus the OTA, it would be too heavy and awkward for me to carry. Besides, I don't relish the thought of a mishap occuring which could dammage my investment.

#13 TheQuestar7

TheQuestar7

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:58 PM

Did you consider the Folding Pier or did you just fall in love with the Monolith and say this is superior!

#14 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

I didn't care for the Pier configuration in the photo I saw. Don't recall, but I think it was in either on the Questar or Company 7 site at the time.
In researching the Monolith, talking with Shahin, and being an amateur machinist most of my life, I knew it was a better alternative. The Monolith is designed and machined to perfection, so to me, it was the right choice and well worth the price.

The only wrong choice I've made with regard to Astronomy, is relocating to the UK from the clear skies of rural California, and shipping the Q7 over here. I haven't had it out for first light yet since it arrived in February. In a way, I feel cursed by the weather this year. :(

#15 TheQuestar7

TheQuestar7

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:47 AM

Do you have any photos of the wedge yet or can you post some Monolith photos? Thanks!

#16 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

I don't have a photo of the Wedge, however, you can see photos of our Monolith currently on page 3 of this forum, under my thread "Someday has come", and also on page 4 under "Questar shipping (Internationally)".
The Monolith is no longer in production, I was fortunate to get on the list for the last run, which was a couple of years ago. I recall there was a Monolith for sale here in the Cloudy Nights classifieds in the Mounts section about a couple of months back; not sure if it was sold though ?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics