Photo

Would you buy a used XT12I Intelliscope?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 bartine

bartine

Apollo

• Loc: Potomac, MD

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

I have an opportunity to buy a newer used XT12I Intelliscope.

Solid tube version, no mods. Mid $500 asking price.

I'm concerned the mirror would be suspect, and that I could be stuck with it if I didn't like it.

So - question to the group - would you buy one?

Thanks!

Ben

#2 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

If you're concerned about the mirror and can't see it before you buy it, then no. However, at that price, if it's ok, it's a good deal. That's a heckuva light bucket for $500.

David

#3 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:30 PM

As far as I know the XT12I's don't have a history of bad mirrors. So no, I wouldn't hesitate to buyva used XT12I.

#4 frito

frito

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fremont, CA

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

i'd ask for a photo of the mirror but at that price i'd probably buy it without it and just get it re-coated if its terrible.

#5 Jeff Porter

Jeff Porter

Vostok 1

• Loc: Utah

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

I have bought and tested both a 10" and a 12" Orion mirrors. Both measured out as diffraction limited, but only just.

I will say that the difference between the Orion mirrors and premium optics is noticeable, but I have not been disappointed with my 12" considering the price, and you are looking at something for about half of what the new cost is. So long as you can handle the solid tube, it sounds like a fair price.

Is there any way to try the scope out before you buy?

-Jeff P

#6 Mark Harry

Mark Harry

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Northeast USA

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

.... That's a heckuva light bucket for $500.

David

Precisely what I was thinking!
M.

#7 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

Yes--if you can personally see it, and give it a spin.

#8 dan777

dan777

Viking 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

Yes I would buy it. Let me know if you don't want it.
I sold my XT8i for $400, and that was a fair price.

#9 pdfermat

pdfermat

Apollo

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

I would and did buy a used xt12i. It would be nice to get a pic of the scope just to confirm that it has been treated well.

If the scope is in good condition, I think that's a great deal at $500. I'm currently trying to sell my xt8i, and have it priced at $450.

#10 AZstar

AZstar

Sputnik

• Loc: AZ

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:03 PM

Mid $500's sounds like a fair price.
I paid $400 for one earlier this year that required a little mechanical repair ( bearings etc...)

#11 BSJ

BSJ

Apollo

• Loc: Grand Isle, VT

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:28 AM

I wouldn't. If something breaks or dies, Orion won't sell parts to you.

#12 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

There is always that... :(

One has to be prepared to use it as a manual scope... and in that case, $500 is probably too much to pay.

Jon

#13 BDS316

BDS316

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sol 3

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

+1.

Disclaimer: My XT8 was bought new back in 2006. I have never personally purchased a used Orion Scope. And as long as their policy of not supporting used scopes is in effect, I never will.

#14 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

I bought a used XT12i for $600 in 2009 and have not looked back. I like to tweak the scope to wring every inch of aperature out of it and have modified the scope with, a Zambuto mirror, Protostar secondary, Moonlight focuser, upgraded finder scope, Ebony star laminate on the azimuth, taped the azimuth magnet, replaced the teflon pads, flocked the entire inside of the scope, added a counter weight system, bob's knobs on the secondary spider, added an Antares EP rack and that is about it. It gives great views and I am very happy with it. It was a very good scope before I tweaked it. I would go for it and enjoy the new light bucket.

#15 fnowat

fnowat

Explorer 1

• Loc: N.E. Illinois (Chicago suburbs)

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

I bought a used Zhumell 12" (though not the I version), but I did go 750/some miles to pick it up. It was on a whim to do this, but without seeing the mirror, I would not have completed the deal. As somebody suggested, a test drive would be very beneficial (even if the moon is out) to your best interest. Unless of course you are thinking of paying for shipping and handling? Maybe network some friends/relatives to do some recon?

#16 davidpitre

davidpitre

Soyuz

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

As far as the mirror goes, as long as it has no scratches and the coatings are good, you are taking no more risk than if you were buying new. Your chances of getting lesser or greater optical quality are the the same. As mentioned, their mirrors, though there is some variation, have gotten pretty consistently good.

#17 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

I bought a used XT12i for $600 in 2009 and have not looked back. I like to tweak the scope to wring every inch of aperature out of it and have modified the scope with, a Zambuto mirror, Protostar secondary, Moonlight focuser, upgraded finder scope, Ebony star laminate on the azimuth, taped the azimuth magnet, replaced the teflon pads, flocked the entire inside of the scope, added a counter weight system, bob's knobs on the secondary spider, added an Antares EP rack and that is about it. It gives great views and I am very happy with it. It was a very good scope before I tweaked it. I would go for it and enjoy the new light bucket.

You DON'T have a Orion telescope!
You HAVE a customized telescope that happens to use the basic support structure of an Orion and evidentally still has the Orion Intelliscope locator system.

But since you replaced all the optics and the OP is concerned the ORION mirror,I don't get how you can say your orion scope is great.

Now I wouldn't pay $500 just for the basic base,tube and electronics of the XT12i which is effectively what the OP would do if he followed your path.

Oh yeah, as long as Orion continues their policy of refusing support for used Orion scopes I will NOT purchase any NEW Orion scopes. I could understand them charging a modest fee but outright refusal is ridiculous.

#18 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

Gosh Big C, let the OP decide if my write up is helpful. I used the scope for some time STOCK before tweeking it as stated in my write up.

#19 cchapkido

cchapkido

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: MA

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

I would. I own an xt12 and the optics in it are great.

#20 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

Well,I maintain that replacing all the optics is more than tweeking. If you have the mirror refigured it is no longer original specs,either. Recoating could be need from neglect ot age and really doesn't alter the design.

I f the scope as original was great then that is a good and useful bit of info.

It just bugs me when people have replaced all the major parts and then speak as though the item is original.

Another example was a review by an owner of a car that stated "replaced the motor at xx,xxx miles and the transmission at xx,xxx miles;an excellent car!" Note this was not a ad to sell the car as repaired but a review extolling its virtues.In my opinion,one doesn't need to replace the motor or transmission of an excellent car ,nor the mirrors of an excellent telescope.

So if one feels compelled to replace the primary mirror,secondary mirror and focuser of a telescope I can only conclude it didn't meet expectations or work well.

#21 JohnMurphyRN

JohnMurphyRN

Mariner 2

• Loc: Near St Louis

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

Well,I maintain that replacing all the optics is more than tweeking. If you have the mirror refigured it is no longer original specs,either. Recoating could be need from neglect ot age and really doesn't alter the design.

I f the scope as original was great then that is a good and useful bit of info.

It just bugs me when people have replaced all the major parts and then speak as though the item is original.

Another example was a review by an owner of a car that stated "replaced the motor at xx,xxx miles and the transmission at xx,xxx miles;an excellent car!" Note this was not a ad to sell the car as repaired but a review extolling its virtues.In my opinion,one doesn't need to replace the motor or transmission of an excellent car ,nor the mirrors of an excellent telescope.

So if one feels compelled to replace the primary mirror,secondary mirror and focuser of a telescope I can only conclude it didn't meet expectations or work well.

LOL, if I were the OP, I'd find his reply very relevant: He felt the need to replace the primary mirror and change a bunch of stuff. THAT speaks volumes :). The OP's primary concern seems to be quality of the primary....

#22 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

The OP stated it's a "newer" used scope. How "newer". If the socpe is only a couple of years old; as long as the original owner didn't leave the mirror exposed to the elements, it should be ok. And not too many people are going to invest it a 12" scope and trash it... There is that problem with Orion not supporting "used" scopes. If you can get the original sale paperwork though, there are workarounds (Orion doesn't know who you are or where you live; people move. Today, my name is Bob, cause that's what the sale papers say; and who knew Bob has the same address I do)

#23 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

I replaced the primary mirror in my XT12i because Carl Zambuto was trying out a swap your mirror program for a Zambuto at a reduced cost and thought it was a very reasonable price so jumped at the chance to have a Zambuto mirror in the scope. I also decided to replace the secondary with a Protostar to "match" the Zambuto primary and have a world class optical train and attempt to push the scope to its fullest. I never intended, when I bought the scope, to swap out the mirrors but as I stated it was a good opportunity. That said, I was very pleased with the performance of the stock mirror and the scope overall for $600. Good Luck!

#24 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

Hmmm, wander if Carl still has that program?

#25 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

Drop him an email and ask, he is a very nice guy and easy to deal with. Good Luck!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics