• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

Hi Jim....

Thank you for your comments and suggestion....

Yes, both Peter and your ideas on display are good, as I also noticed some public really cannot find the planets, especially Jupiter and Saturn, through the viewer glass of the eye piece...As for the moon, which covers the FOV of the ep, perhaps only very small kids may not understand well...
So in future side walk, I may piggy back one of my smaller scopes with a CCD to a TV display, to assist my explanation to the public....

As for your invitation for 2013 Grand Canyon Star Party, I really seriously looking into attending this grand event...
Due to work requirement, I can only decide in the month of May, and I will get in touch with you.....
Again, thanks for your invitation....

Regards

James Ling

#27 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

James, regarding seeing Solar System objects in the eyepiece, I too have an eyepiece, a 19mm Panoptic, that the moon fills well at about 120X in the 18" f/5, or 130X in the 10" f/10 SCT. But, at our high altitude skies, putting a 9mm Nagler in the 18" and showing Jupiter at 250X, it looks like a huge, striped soccer ball. One night of exceptional seeing and transparency at our 7000 foot/2200 meter site, I added a 2X barlow and did Jupiter and Saturn at over 500X. No problem seeing those planets!

If not 2013 there is always 2014, or 2015, or 2016, or ...

#28 Mr Onions

Mr Onions

Two Time International Photographical Competition Winner

• Loc: Newcastle upon Tyne.

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

The people of Singapore are VERY lucky to have James Ling & his friends.
Outstanding work,James.

#29 Mr Onions

Mr Onions

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:05 AM

I only use a small 3" refractor and the public love the Moon & Jupiter,the light pollution makes no difference on these bright targets in my experience.
They are surprised a small telescope can show so much detail.

#30 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:12 AM

James, regarding seeing Solar System objects in the eyepiece, I too have an eyepiece, a 19mm Panoptic, that the moon fills well at about 120X in the 18" f/5, or 130X in the 10" f/10 SCT. But, at our high altitude skies, putting a 9mm Nagler in the 18" and showing Jupiter at 250X, it looks like a huge, striped soccer ball. One night of exceptional seeing and transparency at our 7000 foot/2200 meter site, I added a 2X barlow and did Jupiter and Saturn at over 500X. No problem seeing those planets!

If not 2013 there is always 2014, or 2015, or 2016, or ...

Hi Jim...

Again thanks for your invitation ....
What you have mentioned, I think I should not miss it, and I must make it there, even empty handed, without any telescope.....

Regards

James Ling

#31 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:16 AM

I only use a small 3" refractor and the public love the Moon & Jupiter,the light pollution makes no difference on these bright targets in my experience.
They are surprised a small telescope can show so much detail.

Hi Mr Onions...

Thanks for your comment....
And I do have one 3" refractor with me over here in my oversea working place.....
And I usually use it for the planets, and star clusters, around my home area, and seldom venture far away into the darker sky simply due to safety reason...

Regards

James Ling

#32 killdabuddha

killdabuddha

Apollo

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

Awesome. You guys really rock.

#33 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

Awesome. You guys really rock.

Hi brother....

I felt the same to all those who have posted their outreach or side walk activities, in this section.....

I realized that outreach activities, have make us all come together, even is just a short moment of time, that I communicate with people I do not know them at all....

The public reactions and remarks, really make us going back to do it again and again....whenever time and condition permits ....

Hi All....

As 2012 year end is approaching with one more week to go, I wish everyone A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR 2013.....

Regards

James Ling

Attached Files

#34 Mr Onions

Mr Onions

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:03 AM

And the same to you James.
It's great reading your reports and the photos are fantastic too.
All the very best.

Barty.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics