• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 gribble

gribble

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

I'm thinking of adding a case for my 4" refractor (ES Ar 102) to the holiday wish list. Any recommendations?

#2 neotesla

neotesla

Apollo

• Loc: Canada

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

Looking for a rigid or soft case? Any idea on what the budget range would be as well?

#3 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

http://www.bhphotovi...P34_TriPak.html
Also see this review with pictures of case:
http://www.astromart...?article_id=804

If it will fit in 32" ? this is a great semi soft case (hard panels in lining), same as Takahashi used to sell for its refractors.
Rex

#4 turtledude1

turtledude1

Explorer 1

• Loc: SW Fla.& SW. NM

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:10 PM

Stellarvue makes about the nicest soft case out there. They are resonably priced, water tight, very well padded, and ridgid. I have seven of them and waiting on number eight. I started out with the hard cases, but they aren't all that water tight, their heavy, they don't stack well, take up alot of space, and they dent easily, not to mention they cost a small fortune. You can buy two large Stellarvue's for the cost of one medium sized hard case. I donated all my hard cases to my local club for auction just to get rid of them.
Russ

#5 Meadeball

Meadeball

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Midlothian, Virginia

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

This subject seems to come up at least once a month!

I have a 4-inch refractor. This is working great for me:

Zhumell Case at telescopes.com

Meade

#6 Grandpa Jim

Grandpa Jim

old fogey

• Loc: GREAT AMERICAN DESERT

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

I bought this for my "ES" AR102 refractor.........very well made and fits like a glove. About $60 shipped..................

http://www.bhphotovi...PSTC_300_Tri...

#7 gribble

gribble

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:17 AM

Thanks for the responses. Let me see if I can answer all of the follow up questions. I'm leaning towards a soft case as they seem to be a bit cheaper and easy to pack around. I'd like to stay at around $100 or there abouts. The scope was only $400, so spending much more on a case would be hard to justify.

Jim, for the tripod bag at B&H that you're using, is that with everything attached minus the finder?

Any ideas regarding the differences between the various vendors (Orion, Stellervue, Zhumell, etc)? The pics online aren't much to go by.

Thanks,
Dave

#8 johntrob

johntrob

Ranger 4

• Loc: Georgia, USA

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:59 AM

I recently purchased the Zhumell bag. It holds the wooden tripod on one side, with velcro straps and the padded bag, head and tray on the other. Lots of padding included. Long one piece pads with cloth coverings and are detachable/reconfigurable due to length wise velcro strips.
I keep my Pronto and case, panoramic mount, wooden legs,and assorted extras in it. You could put two tripods easily on one side.

If you want a picture, send me your email and I will send one tonight when I get home from work.

John

#9 Grandpa Jim

Grandpa Jim

old fogey

• Loc: GREAT AMERICAN DESERT

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

Thanks for the responses. Let me see if I can answer all of the follow up questions. I'm leaning towards a soft case as they seem to be a bit cheaper and easy to pack around. I'd like to stay at around $100 or there abouts. The scope was only $400, so spending much more on a case would be hard to justify.

Jim, for the tripod bag at B&H that you're using, is that with everything attached minus the finder?

Any ideas regarding the differences between the various vendors (Orion, Stellervue, Zhumell, etc)? The pics online aren't much to go by.

Thanks,
Dave

That was "OTA" with diagonal, no "EP", and no finder scope attached. Just basically tube, rings/handle, vixen plate and diagonal. Leaves about two to three inches at each end. The bag is nicely made, and padded. Cost right @ $60 shipped. Got it fast too.

#10 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

• Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

I actually saw a baseball bat case with a wide top zipper opening someone was using as a case for a 102mm refractor. Don't know it theres padding in it, but its an idea for you.

#11 rflinn68

rflinn68

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arkansas

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

Didnt the scope come with foam? Buy some 1/2" plywood and build a case. Prime it and paint it with Rust-Oleum Textured paint. Add the hinges, handle(s), and corner pieces of your choice. Works for me :D

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics