• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Rollcrusher

Rollcrusher

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

Hello everybody,

Need some suggestions for a new scope set-up. I have been using a pair of Pentax 12x50 bino's on a camera tripod for about the last year and half. Its quick, easy to move around and overall happy with it. Tripod could be better though.

I let my 10" Dob and 8" Newt go to a coworker, was spending more time on set-up (especially the EQ mount) than using the scopes. They were just too much too fast (I was succeptiable to apeture envy at the time i guess)

So....I have been looking at the C90, C5 and C6 as well as Orions Maks. I like the price and small size of the C90. The C5 would probably be the better scope for my current observing habits but the price keeps pushing me toward the C6. My 10" dob was from orion so I checked their maks first and price wise im leaning toward the Celestron. I know Orions scopes are quality but my price range is steering me toward the C6. Not saying the C6 is cheap but looking at the OTA the C6 seems to be a great deal at $400.

My budget is $500. The C6 with a good mount is gonna put me a little over but I dont want to end up with a C90 and a C6 if ya know what I mean. Iinitially I want to get a usable set-up for around $500. I know I will be putting well over $500 in the total set-up after eyepiecs, barlow etc........but thats later down the road.

Will be using for solar system, solar filter as well and some of the brighter deep sky stuff.

I have spent some time looking at tripods but there are so many with so many options. Found a few in the $100 range that would support up to the C6 but not sure about the quality and how to couple the C6 to the head. Also, like the Altazimuth mounts with the slow motion cotrols but these would but me a little over budget. Really want to go with a tripod but If the Altazimuth are better mounts I can live with the extra cost. No photos this time so not interested in a go-to or EQ mount.

I dont want another reflector. I have looked at a few refractors but really dont know what im looking at.

The more I think about it the more I want the C6. I know im straying from the ease of the bino set-up but with the scope and mount it should be in the 20-30 pound range at best. So if I could get some suggestions or insight on this set up it would be great

Thanks

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

Not sure what you mean by "tripods," but if you mean a 100 dollar camera tripod, forget it. One is in no way suitable for the C6. The least expensive mount I know of that is really sufficient for the scope is Orion's Versago II at about 200 dollars. You can occasionally find it a little cheaper branded as the Sky Watcher AZ-4 (check with Celestron).

#3 Rollcrusher

Rollcrusher

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

Will do thanks.

Unfortuniatly I was talking about a camera tripod. Looks like my budget will have to go to $600 now.

#4 desertlens

desertlens

Viking 1

• Loc: 36°N 105°W

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

I've been using the setup pictured with some success. The C6 is a great little scope. The mount is an AT Voyager (same as the GSO available from Agena). This might be a bit over budget but worthwhile if you can swing it. The rings are GSOs and permit me to keep the focuser on the right with this side-saddle mount. I'd also recommend some anti-vibration pads at higher magnifications.

Posted Image

#5 jhirsch

jhirsch

Mariner 2

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

My 2¢
I'm thoroughly enjoying the used Celestron 6SE I picked up. 2 star Auto-Align is a snap and these can be found on the CN classifieds & the other site routinely around $500-$600 range.
I agree w/ Unc Rod. $100 mount with a scope this size may be a waste of $$

#6 Rollcrusher

Rollcrusher

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

Are the rings necessary. I mean the dovetail that comes with the OTA won't fit?

#7 Rollcrusher

Rollcrusher

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

I can see now that I have underestimated on the mount. Think I will go ahead and get the OTA ordered and save another week or two for the mount.

Really liking the AT Voyager. Kinda off topic but can I adapt my binocs to this mount?

Disregard the ring question, just looked at a few more pics of it..

#8 desertlens

desertlens

Viking 1

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

No, the rings are not necessary but the stock dovetail is limited to one position. As you rotate the scope for this type of mount the focuser position will end up between the scope and the vertical tube of the diagonal... not the best ergonomics... if it fits, depending on your diagonal. When I bought the scope the photo I was looking at clearly showed mounting holes for side mounting the dovetail bar. When it arrived these holes were not present... hence the rings.

#9 Rollcrusher

Rollcrusher

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

Desertlens - I really like your setup. If you don't mind:

What will the rings cost? And according to specs, I should be looking at around 25 pounds for the OTA and mount?

Looks like the mount won't be available for a while.

#10 desertlens

desertlens

Viking 1

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

rollcrusher,
Your weight estimate is about right. Here's a link to the rings I'm using. The Voyager has been OOS at Astronomics for some time now. Mine is white but now they're dark gray. The same mount is currently available here . I'm using an AstroTech dovetail bar since the Celestron wasn't drilled for rings. I think it was about $25. The whole setup is very rigid and easy to move in and out of the house.

#11 Rollcrusher

Rollcrusher

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

Thanks.
I may have to order the mount first considering the availabily. Thanks again

#12 desertlens

desertlens

Viking 1

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

Just FYI, the GSO will come without instructions. It's fairly simple to assemble and there's a PDF on the Astronomics web site that should be helpful. Check the Voyager page under Documents/Videos. Good luck and have fun.

#13 rguasto

rguasto

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

I have used a C6 for the last~2 years on a voyager. I find the combo to be perfect. The focuser is under the diagonal and ergonomically is fine.

Attached Files

#14 coopman

coopman

Gemini

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

An under-mounted scope is a very frustrating thing, especially at f/10.

#15 desertlens

desertlens

Viking 1

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

Rollcrusher,
rguasto's solution is also viable. I opted for the 2" screw on diagonal which rides closer to the visual back and didn't leave room for the long focuser knob underneath. Some things will depend on your choice of diagonal. Note also that he has set the mount arm on the left. This option, with either the straight or inclined setup is one of the strong points of this mount.

#16 Rollcrusher

Rollcrusher

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

Thought that was a 2" diagonal.

Rgustao, that's very nice as well. Think I will go your route initially, and later if I decide on the 2" I know it will work and what mods to do. Excluding the bino viewer, dew shield and i think the finder scope - is that everything that came with the OTA and mount? No special brackets or adapters needed to couple the tube to the mount?

#17 rguasto

rguasto

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

OTA mounts right up withe OEM dovetail. A 2" diagonal isn't really advantageous. The clear aperture of the OTA is only 27mm. A 24mm 68* eyepiece or a 32mm 50* plossl is the widest true field of view you can attain without vignetting. If you want a wider field get a focal reducer. I went with an AT dielectric 1.25" diagonal - mainly for the compression ring, but overall it's a much higher quality diagonal.

#18 desertlens

desertlens

Viking 1

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

A 2" diagonal isn't really advantageous.

I agree with this... regardless of what I did. Visually, I see no vignetting with a 27mm Panoptic or a 36mm Hyperion Aspheric but it's almost certainly there with the 36. I also agree that you will want to replace the stock diagonal.

#19 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

The Nexstar 6SE looks like it would be right up your alley. If you like to star hop than the Voyager mount would be okay as well, but keep in mind that finding stuff with a long focal length scope can be a bit trying at times.

Patrick

#20 hottr6

hottr6

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

The Orion 150mm Mak rides very well on a Vixen Polaris GEM. Both can be found on the used market for less than $500. I believe the C6 is a little lighter than the Mak, so would be a better match for the Polaris. The combo is an easy Grab-n-Go.

Attached Files

#21 coopman

coopman

Gemini

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

The narrow FOV can be negated somewhat by the addition of the f6.3 focal reducer.

#22 Rollcrusher

Rollcrusher

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

Guys I just realized I left out some important info....

I have access to dark skies at my place of employment. When we get new employees we give them "the tour" for training. I had one guy say that it looked like some clouds were coming in and I had to tell him that was actually the Milky Way.

Anyway, I work rotating shift, have about 40 minutes for break and that's the main reason for the binoc setup. I need a small fast setup for about 30 minutes of viewing at this location. 10 minutes to and from plus setup time gives me about 30 minutes.

I'm a few hours from McDonald's observatory, my dark sky site is 20 minutes away, does not compare to McDonald's but is pretty dark.

In retrospect I think the C6 may be too much and the C90 may be better for me.

What about the Vixen VMC110L - may be the middle ground scope for what I'm looking for.

Keep in mind I have been using the 12x50 binoculars and I'm not expecting the views the 10" dob had.

Thanks again guys.

#23 desertlens

desertlens

Viking 1

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

Rollcrusher,
I have a VMC110L that has fundamentally been replaced by the C6. These days it's used for solar observing with Baader solar film. This may be a good scope for your situation (especially on the PortaMount) but be advised it struggles for aperture at anything above 100x. Consider starting a new thread about the Vixen for some input. It's a very compact instrument and within the budget you originally stated.

#24 t.r.

t.r.

Aurora

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

A previous thread or two about the C90's have been very positive about the quality and views. If you could put it out to cool a bit before you observe, with the dark skies you claim, I think you would be happy for a casual run. You would come in under the $400 limit too, even over mounted. I'm asking for one for Christmas from Mrs. Claus. :grin: I have the C6 as my grab-n-go, but this little 90 has travel potential unlike the others.

#25 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

The 127 SLT Celestron Nexstar Mak may be an option for you.
It gives a lot more light than the C90..
but it is not too big to use during the day for a spotter or solar scope.
You can get the SLT version for about $450.00
That would leave you enough for a tripod for quick setups
with the included dovetail bar.
I have one and it is terrific!
I did happen upon a heavier tripod that got rid of the bouncyness but I used it for a year as is.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics