10 replies to this topic

#1 KCN

KCN

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Calgary, AB, Canada

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

Friends,

I have a William Optics FLT98 refractor (the Al tube version) that I purchased with traveling in mind. Now, all I need is decent mount that could hold the OTA and be transported in checked-in luggage. The tube weighs about 10 lbs or 5 kg and it's 5-600 mm long.

Any ideas from fellow travelers who have experience flying with this kind of setup?

Many thanks!

#2 ichdien

ichdien

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

If you're looking for an alt-az, you might have luck with a Tak Teegul. Not too large and can be packed in a suitcase. I use mine with a 105mm, lb. refractor, mounted on a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod that can also be packed in a suitcase and checked in.

Jim

#3 M13 Observer

M13 Observer

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

If you're looking for an alt-az, you might have luck with a Tak Teegul. Not too large and can be packed in a suitcase. I use mine with a 105mm, lb. refractor, mounted on a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod that can also be packed in a suitcase and checked in.

Jim

I second the Tak TeeGul SPIII with Gitzo CF tripod. I use mine with a Tak Sky90 or AP Stowaway. Scope, 1.25" diagonal, and 1.25" Nikon NAV eyepieces stay with me, tripod, mount and 2 small CW go in luggage.

#4 M44

M44

Ranger 4

• Loc: SoCal.

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

I third the Tak Teegu (Lapides modified). I have one for travel with Gitzo 5531. It handles my 110 f/5.6, 10 lbs effortlessly.

Smooth slow-motion knobs are great and feels solid with minimum shake in the views.

#5 ottovonrotton

ottovonrotton

Vostok 1

• Loc: Where is Port Perry?

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

Hello, don't know if this helps, I travel to Cuba at least once a year, I take a Vixen Vmc 110 (4.26lbs) plus tackle box of eyepieces etc. in my carry on and pack a light weight photo tripod with simple pan head and handle, works great late at night as grab and stagger. (free drinks!)

#6 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

A DSV-1 would handle that nicely: http://www.desertsky....com/DSV-1.html
plus it's reasonably small and lightweight.

The problem with putting any of these rigs in a suitcase is the tripod. Getting something that is reasonably small, yet stable, is a real challenge. A standard surveyor's tripod that is used with something like the DSV-1 is 38" long when folded up. That takes a pretty big suitcase.

There are a couple of shorty surveryor's tripods out there that might do the trick if you don't mind sitting on the ground, or if you have a sturdy raised surface to put it on. Here's one example (24" folded up):
http://www.stakemill...roducts_id=4059

-Dan

#7 chboss

chboss

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Zurich Switzerland

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

For a real light but stable Alt-Az mount you could also consider the AYO line:

AYO-Traveler:
http://www.aokswiss....yotraveler.html

AYO Mark II:
http://www.aokswiss..../ayo1/ayo1.html

I use the AYO of the first generation with my FS-102 with 816mm focal length, it would even carry more weight. All models have the thread to be mounted on a normal Photo Tripod.

best regards
Chris

#8 KCN

KCN

Messenger

• -----

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

Thanks a lot everyone,

I really like all options, the Tak having the benefit of tracking, but at a much higher price tag.

The DSV and the AYO have a lot of appeal too, especially because they are so affordable. Of course, they have tracking options, which brings them close to the price range of the Teegul. So, now I have to decide tracking or non-tracking.

Also, is there any tracking equatorial that would be fit for travel?

Clear skies,

#9 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

For the FLT98, the iOptron SmartEQ ($399) should work. It has a payload of 11 pounds which would be pushing it a wee bit with that scope, but for visual-only it should be ok. The SmartEQ Pro is $100 more, but has metal worm gears and a polar scope.
http://ioptron.com/i...0b6-9767-494...

-Dan

#10 M13 Observer

M13 Observer

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

Thanks a lot everyone,

I really like all options, the Tak having the benefit of tracking, but at a much higher price tag.

The DSV and the AYO have a lot of appeal too, especially because they are so affordable. Of course, they have tracking options, which brings them close to the price range of the Teegul. So, now I have to decide tracking or non-tracking.

Also, is there any tracking equatorial that would be fit for travel?

Clear skies,

Uuuuhhh, the Tak SPIII with Gitzo tripod?

#11 KCN

KCN

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

Of course :) Let me rephrase that: Is there any tracking equatorial that would be fit for travel, without expensive Japanese letters on it? :grin:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics