• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Rapp

Michael Rapp

Gemini

• Loc: Dickinson, TX

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

Hi all,

While cleaning out a bookcase last night (which seems to have resulting in just moving items around and not throwing anything out!), I ran across some old issues of Deep Sky magazine that Kalmbach used to publish.

I liked the reader-generated articles and the focus on observing. For some reason, this reminded me of Amateur Astronomy magazine and I went off to see if it was still being published, which of course it is.

I vaguely remember that when it came out it was to be a quarterly publication dedicated to observing, amateur astronomers, and their techniques.

For those who currently subscribe to it, how would you characterize it? Has it been under the same editorship all this time? If you remember the old Deep Sky, how does it compare?

One thing I liked about Deep Sky was the use of sketches rather than photographs to illustrate objects.

#2 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

Michael, I've been subscribing to Amateur Astronomy for several years, and have all the back issues. It used to be headed by Tom Clark, but is now under the editorship of Charlie Warren. Charlie has pretty much kept the magazine as Tom did, being a publication made up mostly of reader-submitted articles and stories. Often, readers submit ideas regarding what kinds of stories and articles they want to see, and AA puts out the call for readers to submit articles that fill the bill. AA is still a quarterly publication.

One of the things I like about Amateur Astronomy is that it has never abandoned the grass-roots publication format it has always had. I find the black-and-white, no-frills look and feel to be appealing, and I love the fact that most of the submissions are submitted by amateurs.

I've never read Deep Sky, so I can't offer a comparison between the two publications.

#3 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

i have every issue of Deep Sky in PDF, on my iPad... still read them today... love that magz!

Check out the Webb Society, from England, they also focus on observations and drawing.

#4 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:01 PM

What is the name of the observatory on the cover of the website for AA magz, the blue truss tube?

#5 PhilCo126

PhilCo126

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: coastline of Belgium

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

While cleaning out a bookcase last night (which seems to have resulting in just moving items around and not throwing anything out!)
EndQuote
:roflmao: :lol:

#6 deepskytraveler

deepskytraveler

Vostok 1

• Loc: Worthington, OH

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:57 AM

The observatory on the cover of Amateur Astronomy #76 is the Warren Rupp Observatory near Marion, Ohio USA. Info here... http://www.wro.org/

The primary is a 36" f/6.3 which replaced the original 31" f/6.8 mirror that cracked in half when the secondary fell on it last year. Info here... http://www.cloudynig...5301121/Main...

Clear skies,

Mark
Worthington, OH

#7 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

thanks for the info on the Rupp

#8 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

Amateur Astronomy is probably one of the best investments an amateur can make when it comes to print media. I have about 3-4 years worth (not a current subscriber) that I have saved and there is a wealth of ATM information in them. Also reading about star parties is good reading on those cloudy nights.

#9 KidOrion

KidOrion

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Carbondale, IL

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:11 PM

Hi all,

While cleaning out a bookcase last night (which seems to have resulting in just moving items around and not throwing anything out!), I ran across some old issues of Deep Sky magazine that Kalmbach used to publish.

I liked the reader-generated articles and the focus on observing. For some reason, this reminded me of Amateur Astronomy magazine and I went off to see if it was still being published, which of course it is.

I vaguely remember that when it came out it was to be a quarterly publication dedicated to observing, amateur astronomers, and their techniques.

For those who currently subscribe to it, how would you characterize it? Has it been under the same editorship all this time? If you remember the old Deep Sky, how does it compare?

One thing I liked about Deep Sky was the use of sketches rather than photographs to illustrate objects.

AA and DS seem to me to have somewhat different purposes. AA covers more of a broad spectrum of topics, while DS was much more focused on specific areas of deep-sky observing, and did so very narrowly. I enjoy reading AA, but DS remains (for me at least) the definitive observing magazine, and a classic. I reread those issues of DS frequently, to the point where I'm considering making an index of all of the DSO references in the magazine's entire run (as soon as I get the pdf versions of the six or seven issues I don't have).

#10 Michael Rapp

Michael Rapp

Gemini

• Loc: Dickinson, TX

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

I just found all Deep Sky issues available for download at $3.95 each in the Kalmbach bookstore. $146.15 is a bit pricy for the whole set, but as luck would have it I have the entire index (I subscribed for its last year) so I hope that will let me pick and choose.

#11 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

I picked and choose at first too... Ended up with the whole set!

#12 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast, Florida

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

I was lucky enough to pick up all back issues of AA and then subscribed to the current issue at the time. That was more than a year ago and it became my favorite astro magazine.

My Christmas wish list includes this DVD from Kalmbach, Astronomy magazine: The Complete Collection 1973–2010 for $149.95

Here is what is included on the DVD:

449 regular issues of Astronomy magazine
23 special editions of Astronomy magazine
Deep Sky magazine
Telescope Making magazine

I think this DVD would be a great edition to my Sky & Telescope DVD collection. Just my :penny: :penny:

peace & clear skies

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics