• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PiotrM

PiotrM

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

I got a bit of Jupiter today before the fog blocked and fogged everything :) The images turned out quite good.

f/20; 20:39 UT; YRGB and Redlum-RGB; DMK21AU618 + ADC:
Posted ImagePosted Image

Yellow and RedLum channels:
Posted ImagePosted Image

Animation: http://www.rkastrofo...3-11-2012/an...

1.5x drizzle YRGB:
Posted Image

Some collimation testing at f/10 and f/20:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

Nice work, Rik. I get that little "swirl" in the collimation rings when the optical tube temperature is fluctuating in my C14. It looks spot on.

#3 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley of the Sun

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

Nice image Rik! Yes it looks like you could use an internal fan system, for us in the desert its really a necessity with huge temperature drops. With internal fans running for 30 minutes this should go away. I leave mine going all night usually.

Glenn

#4 PiotrM

PiotrM

Gemini

• -----

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:41 AM

I have one, and when I turned it on the bright plum fade away after a while. I used a bigger one mounted via focuser before using the OTA so the scope was blown deeply at start :)

#5 mikotoy

mikotoy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

Did you guys build your own fans into your SCTs or is there a product that is available to aid with cooling? I remember Brian (BKBrown) recommending a product and for the life of me I cannot recall it. I had also thought about TEC coolers attached to the outside of the OTA, but became concerned with weight due to the heat syncs.

Fun playing below:

Nothing ground breaking by any means, but a newbie (me) playing around and learning :)

During a night of on again off again cloudy skies, I ran a few tests to determine whether the swirling pattern I was observing was due to temperature fluctuation inside the OTA or atmospheric diffraction. I took temperature readings over a 4 hour time period measuring both ambient air temperature and temperature inside of my OTA. The purpose for me was to observe how much the delta between ambient and air temp affected viewing and how altitude played a role.

Even when temperatures had stabilized and were within one degree of each other, the image was still distorted, but what I had discovered (so not ground breaking) it was due to the altitude of the object observed when out of focus. The closer I got to Zenith using Capella as my test object, it nearly dispersed, but when I would move back to Polaris at 44 degrees it was very noticeable and simulated the temperature flux most of us are familiar with. Looks very similar to Piotr's image.

I discovered so many things that night that indicated I needed to change about my set up to help the OTA cool down quicker when imaging. I couldn't believe how little it took for the swirl pattern to re-appear and long it would take to stabilize. Fun stuff.

#6 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

I started using a Cool Edge on my C14. Very easy to install and remove.

Cool Edge

#7 mikotoy

mikotoy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

Thank you, ToxMan.

That does seem like a pretty nifty idea and gave me an idea of how to build a similar unit for a lower price. I have several spare air pumps lying around from my other air mattresses that I do not use. Those would be the perfect application for this.

Thanks again!

#8 aaube

aaube

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Trois-Rivieres, Canada

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

I use Temp-est fans (just the side fans) and it does a good job at cooling/regulating temperature of the ota.

Sincerely,

Alain

http://www.deepspace...on-system-fo...

#9 PiotrM

PiotrM

Gemini

• -----

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:59 AM

Before use I cool it with self-made cooler:

Posted Image

Blows the air through the OTA. And when the scope is used a mini version:

Posted Image

This one is attached to one of fork mounting holes. In both cases air escapes via other holes around the primary. They blow away any boundary layer out there and make the scope cool down much faster :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics