Meade LX-90 "Pop" and "Hiss"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TStone

TStone

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

I was out observing the other night with my 8” Meade LX-90 and while slewing to a new target there was a sickening "Pop" followed by a long "Hiss" that sounding like gas escaping from something. The telescope stopped slewing, but the Autostar controller was still illuminated and "thought" the telescope was still slewing.

Any ideas as to what happened? Is this something I can fix myself?

#2 Ham Radio

Ham Radio

Viking 1

• Loc: Baxter, Mn

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

Sounds like a capacitor somewhere blew. Depending on where and how good you are at soldering parts, it could be an easy fix.

#3 TStone

TStone

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for the tip. I finally had some time to begin investigating the problem. I discovered that when I loosened the R.A lock the telescope did not spin freely as usual.

This makes me think the problem is in the R.A. Drive somewhere.
Any ideas are appreciated.

#4 TStone

TStone

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:08 AM

After examining my telescope at home, I discovered that one of the C cell batteries had ruptured and leaked into the right hand ascension drive.

I contacted the battery manufacturer, Rayovac, and explained what had happened. The customer service representative was apologetic for my situation and told me that the repair would be covered.

Rayovac requested detailed photos along with the batteries from the telescope. I shipped the telescope to Meade for repair and after getting it back, Rayovac reimbursed me for not only the repair charge from Meade, but also my cost to ship the telescope to Meade in addition to the cost to ship the batteries for investigation. Rayovac even shipped a set of new batteries to me.

I’ve decided to play it safe and use an external 12V battery, but I really appreciate Rayovac standing behind their products.

#5 SteveMushynsky

SteveMushynsky

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Syracuse, NY area (Central NY)

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:20 AM

Admirably good customer relation service by Rayovac ;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics