Manny Myles Pan Handle custom/mods

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 core

core

Apollo

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:20 AM

I just got my third(!) pan handle from Manny this week - all three that I ordered from Manny has differed slightly from his usual designs, and as always he's been fantastic to chat with over all the detail. This time around I was looking for a setup that would mount a small 7" LCD monitor to the handle so that I would have a all-in-one setup - works great for outreach, scouts, schools, etc. I can easily hand-track the moon, and point out specific details (eg, Apollo 11 landing site, etc). Tracking Jupiter/Saturn isn't all that difficult either. A nice unintended consequence of not having a tracking mount is that one can demonstrate the apparent motion of the celestial sphere with all that objects whizzing by.

Attached Files

#2 core

core

Apollo

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:22 AM

The other 2 setups would either be a C90 or a AT66ED with white-light solar filter, which would frame the entire sun nicely.

Attached Files

#3 core

core

Apollo

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:25 AM

Manny's thoughtful suggestion was to make the 1/4" mounting post removable, that way when it wasn't in use it wouldn't snag onto other stuff or scrap a body part. I'll post the Porta handle mod when I have it setup next.

Attached Files

#4 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

• Loc: Far South of the flyover city of Chicago

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

Looks great Peter with the monitor on there!
When I was making it, I wonder just how it was going to look on there
What are you gonna think up next????
m2

#5 Phil Wheeler

Phil Wheeler

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: 3 miles WNW of Celestron

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

Neat setup. I have that monitor, that OTA and perhaps the camera. What camera do you show in the images?

#6 core

core

Apollo

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:23 AM

Phil, camera in the pictures is an older Meade "electronic eyepice" B&W unit; nice thing about it is that it has manually adjustable gain - great for dialing in just the right amount of contrast on the moon, teases out details from the terminator to shadow-less full moon. I may also use a Orion color version (autogain though), or a Samsung CCTV (bulky).

1200mm is about the max for easy manual tracking, so the C6 setup is right at the border of usable, but I can always add a 0.5x FR to bring down the image scale.

Planning to use the setup (400mm) at an outdoor range for 300m target sighting as well ;)

And as always, thanks much again Manny!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics