EQ G mount slewing solution...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 beckemd

beckemd

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

I posted earlier concerning my Atlas EQ G mounts trouble--it would stop slewing in the RA direction..making Star alignment for the goto impossible...
Solution? SHIP it back to Orion for an overhaul. Mind you i've already had it to Deep Space Products for a hypertune repair. Orion replaces the mother board and now it works fine...only problem is the upgraded power connector which I loved...the kind that screwed down and locked. It was a mod to the old Mobo and now I've got a cord that slips out relentlessly.

Those of us that have EQ G's, what has been the most effective solution for this nagging problem?
DBB in Chicago

#2 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

The best solution is a velcro strip on top of the mount, between the polarscope opening and the saddle mount for the scope. Use "decorator velcro" available from fabric stores which has sticky stuff on only one side. Make the non-sticky side a bit longer than the sticky one and you have an attach point for the power cord. Don't just run the cord between the velcro strips but make a loop that goes between them twice. This will eliminate all tension on the connector and you'll never have it pull out again.

Phil

#3 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

One way is a cable clip of some kind (usually plastic with an adhesive back). You just want something to loop the cable through so that it cannot pull straight out of the mount.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics