Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

Just wondering which is preferred; for reading, playing games, lots of free apps, etc.?

Both are the same price, both have 16G.

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:34 PM

Just wondering which is preferred; for reading, playing games, lots of free apps, etc.?

Both are the same price, both have 16G.

Carol:

If it were me, I would be buying the Nexus 7. Access to the Google Playstore is important because that's where the apps are, free and paid. It is my understanding that the Kindle's cannot access the playstore, the Nexus can.

Jon

#3 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

Thanks Jon!

#4 Sean Wood

Sean Wood

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

Nexus 7 all the way, it receives Android updates diretly from Google so no waiting on the device manufacture to send you their "skinned" over version of the latest firmware.
Have one myself and I love it.I even use it even as an astronomy aid with several star mapping apps such *BLEEP* Skeye Pro, it allows you to use the tablet mounted onto you OTA as a "Push too" set of virtual digital setting circles. accompany that with all the info in Sky Safari and you really don't need to be dragging books/charts out into the field and more. Even use it with an astronomy logging app StarLog. It allows you to build database of your equipment and has a data base of NGC,Messier and solar system objects you can build observing lists from, or if you like you can import your own list form your favorite astronomy program on your pc or mac. The app gives you a multitude of information fields you can notate to and even has a voice recorder built in. Once you're done you can export the log entries out in several formats to apps and or print them out. The paid full version of this app even works in conjunction with Skeye to be able to bounce back and forth to use Skeye to find objects and StarLog to log the observations.

My only suggestion is go with the 32GB instead of the 16GB.. the down side the Nexus is it has a fix amount of storage. If you are considering possibly wanting to update the amount of storage I'd suggest the 7" Galaxy Tab2.

The only REAL advantage to the Kindle Fire is if you subscribe to Amazon Prime there is a native app for streaming movies and whatnot from that service, everything else you can get an app to do in the Google Play Store. You can still watch movies from Amazon in the Chrome or standard Android browser if you want.

#5 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:26 AM

I was all ready to buy a Nexus 7, thinking I could use Sky Safari wirelessly with SkyFi to control my CG-5, but after discovering that the Nexus (and all android devices) cannot connect to ad hoc wireless systems like SkiFi, I'll keep waiting until some android device can.

I just don't see having the Nexus tethered to the NexStar with two linked cables. I really don't want to spend the money on an iPad, so more patience is required.

Otherwise, I would buy a Nexus if I just wanted to use it as a digital chart system.

#6 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:49 AM

The Nexus 7 works really well controlling scopes via Bluetooth. You don't have to use SkyFi.

#7 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:23 AM

The Nexus 7 works really well controlling scopes via Bluetooth. You don't have to use SkyFi.

Ahh, I'll have to do a little research. I didn't know that. Thanks!

#8 Chucky

Chucky

Messenger

• Loc: Dublin, Ohio

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

<< I really don't want to spend the money on an iPad >>

Don't cheap yourself without some serious thought to the contrary. When it's all said and done, you often get what you pay for. The ipad works extremely well today with Sky Safari, will into the future. The Sky Safari developers seem to often battle with Android. To me at least, the extra money is well worth it to avoid problems! It's not like we are talking all that much more for an ipad, considering the cost of various headache medications.

#9 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

Don't cheap yourself without some serious thought to the contrary. When it's all said and done, you often get what you pay for. The ipad works extremely well today with Sky Safari, will into the future. The Sky Safari developers seem to often battle with Android. To me at least, the extra money is well worth it to avoid problems! It's not like we are talking all that much more for an ipad, considering the cost of various headache medications.

Point taken. Still...

#10 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

• Loc: Bay Area, California

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

iPads are far from problem free, and their 60% price premium buys you less resolution and less processing power than either the Kindle HD or the Nexus 7.

Back to the OP's question, the N7 wins hands down for general use, and specifically for astronomy, since the Kindle HD apparently lacks gps and a compass.

#11 gmartin02

gmartin02

Viking 1

• Loc: Santa Clarita, CA

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

There is nothing wrong with Sky Safari on Android OS devices. Many of us have been using SS on Android with no problems, and it works great.

Although IOS devices have done well in the past and are good now, Android OS devices are the future, especially now that Apple no longer has the vision of Steve Jobs to lead them (do you think Jobs would have ever let the IOS 6 maps debacle happen?). As of the end of the 3rd quarter: In the US, Android OS now has almost double the market share as IOS, but for the global market, Android OS devices are now outselling IOS devices 5 to 1. For tablets, global iPad market share continues to drop rapidly (still at 50%), mainly gobbled up by Samsung Galaxy devices (now at 20%, and increasing rapidly).

Note: For iPhones & iPads, the display, memory, and chipsets are all manufactured by Samsung. Apple keeps trying to sue Samsung, thereby endangering their primary hardware supplier. There are already rumors that Samsung is getting ready to cut off Apple in the future. Why does Apple buy the majority of internal hardware from Samsung? Because they make the best and have the most robust supply line.

Buying one of the "top tier" Android tablets (Nexus 7/10 or Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7/10.1) is not "cheaping yourself" - you just aren't paying the Apple tax for your tablet. Also, the Android OS UI/feature set is maturing rapidly, and now progressing much faster than IOS feature enhancements.

#12 tezster

tezster

Viking 1

• Loc: Missisauga, Canada

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

I'm very happy with my N7 + SS + BETI setup :)

I think the bottom line is, both iOS and Android devices are viable options. The price premium of the iPad (mini) kind of made the decision for me. As mentioned, I also recommend staying away from the cheaper Android tablets, and only limit yourself to the better known, proven models.

The good thing about iDevices is the look/feel and functionality across devices is almost identical, so you don't have to worry about compatibility issues. There's a lot more options out there with Android, which is both a good and bad thing.

#13 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:30 PM

Not sure why you think the Nexus7 can't connect to an ad hoc wireless system because it can.

Marcus,
I'm pretty sure this is not possible without rooting your device and installing a patch. I know mine won't see an Ad Hoc network.

#14 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:37 AM

Bill, my two rooted Nexus 7s have no problems seeing each other and connecting. One is running Android 4.1.2, and the other is on 4.2. Both have a Wi-Fi Direct option (inside Settings > Wi-Fi > settings), and all I have to do is invite the other device to connect, and accept the invitation. I'm sure the same option exists on unrooted N7s.

I'm not sure how to communicate between the two connected devices, but I think I have established an ad hoc connection between them, have I not?

#15 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:16 AM

Posted Image
I answered my own question. I searched Google Play Store for ad hoc network, and found an app named iDovatter, and was able to send messages between my Nexus 7 tablets within 5 minutes via their ad hoc network.

#16 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:01 AM

Nice find, Darrell! But, you are working with a rooted Nexus, and I'm not sure where the ad hoc capabilities are coming from, the app in combo with the rooted device, or just the app. Can anyone confirm that this app will work with an out-of-the-box Nexus and the SkyFi? That would be a winner for me.

#17 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

You also need to make sure this app is using an Ad Hoc network rather than WiFi-Direct. The two are somewhat similar, but not the same. I know Android supports WiFi-Direct.

#18 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

I can verify iDovatter connects independently of Wi-Fi Direct. I disconnected my devices from Wi-Fi Direct, and they communicated.

There was an initial problem. Yesterday's session remained in memory, and although my devices saw each other, they weren't communicating. I had to clear data and caches. Then they communicated.

Idovatter does not require rooting, and Super SU access is not requested.

#19 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

• Loc: In the Primordial Soup

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

So one of the things I found last night is Android devices can be made to work with other android devices (3rd party apps whatever). But true Ad Hoc and an Android device is an absolute no go with other non Android things. If you need that you should buy an iSomething until Android wakes up a fixes that.

#20 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:42 PM

So, Wi-Fi Direct ad hoc networking, and third party app ad hoc networking aren't "true" ad hoc networking? Why didn't somebody tell me only "true" ad hoc networking qualifies as ad hoc communicating? ;)

#21 Sean Wood

Sean Wood

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:37 AM

Ad-hoc WiFi networking can be achieved on Android but you have to have a Rooted(jailbroke) device and have to alter a system file called the Wifi_suplicant file. There is some good info on the XDA-developers forums on the subject some may not be specific to the Nexus 7 but it's essentially the same process.

****This fairly technical and I highly suggest do tons of research and have familiarity with Linux command code before even attempting.****

The largest issue issue is that if you alter the file to recognize Ad-Hoc you wont be able to connect into a standard infrastructure type WiFi connection. So you either have to alter the file ever time and or manage 2 separate altered files edited for each network type and just rename and swap them out each time you change network types.
I did this with one of my old Android phones it just got a little tedious having to remember the command code to do this every time. With me being a lazy individual, this just would not do. I eventually used an Android app called Gscript to manage the process. Gscript allows you to create command line scripts, in this case the individual Linux commands to swap the 2 altered files. After you have the scripts written Gscript would allow you to run the individual scripts via shortcuts on your home screen. This made changing network types as easy as hitting a button and turning off and on Wifi.

LIKE I SAID.. THIS IS FAIRLY TECHNICAL ATTEMPT WITH CAUTION... worst case scenario you could have a nice tablet shaped paper weight or disable your WiFi completely and have to pull yourself out of a whole.

#22 Bas van Krieken

Bas van Krieken

Vendor - FOViewer

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Amersfoort, the Netherlands

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

Regarding the OP.
I'd definitely go for the Nexus 7. It is the best specced 7" tablet at the moment and uses Vanilla Android, which ensures that you will always have the latest Android version.

Apart from that, the Nexus 7 runs StarLog and the Kindle doesn't. That should be a decisive argument ;)

#23 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

• Loc: In the Primordial Soup

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

So, Wi-Fi Direct ad hoc networking, and third party app ad hoc networking aren't "true" ad hoc networking? Why didn't somebody tell me only "true" ad hoc networking qualifies as ad hoc communicating? ;)

So you can connect your Andriod device to any non-Android Ad-Hoc network device? If you can do that then you have true Ad-Hoc.

#24 Sean Wood

Sean Wood

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

From my understanding Yes...
BACK IN THE DAY, said in my best geezer voice, (2009) to wirelessly tether your laptop on the original Droid you had to set it up as an Ad-Hoc network device because it didn't have the hardware to broadcast an infrastructure/hotspot signal. The only way to accomplish it was to alter the wifi_suplicant file. Really it was only an act of changing a value from a "1" to a "0" for one string line that set the wifi for infrastructure mode, Then changing the defining string for Ad-Hoc from a "0" to a "1" and turningoff and on the wifi... sounds simple but finding the file, changing the write/rewrite permissions(you need root access to specifically do this) for the file, opening the file in an editor window, digging through all the variable strings to find the right strings and making the edits, saving the file, changing the permissions back to read only... it was just a hassle at the time for what little I was using it for, I really didn't tether enough to merit the head ache. But YES this CAN be done if you really want to.

But like the fellow from Southern Stars said.. Bluetooth works fine. This would be a pain to do on a continuing basis, unless you just wanted to do proof of concept or if you plan on using your tablet strictly as a dedicated device, though you would have to change back in the event of software updates. Given that, I don't know if I'd do it.

#25 proud uncle

proud uncle

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:30 AM

Thanks, Carol, for the question. Thanks others for your input. I was having the same question. Finding Carol's thread saved me from starting a new thread. This thread has helped answer my questions.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics