Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

Kenneth, there's certainly great information here; thanks to the fantastic members with the experience with these instruments!

#27 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oklahoma

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

So, Carol, have you decided whether you're going to get a tablet? If you do get one, please let us know which one you picked and, after using it awhile, how you like it.

#28 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

For reading, playing games and free apps.

Well for reading a regular Kindle is the best way to go. For playing games I think either tablet would work. If you want it for both, I would say it is a toss up.

For me if I was buying I would get the Kindle Fire HD, mostly because I know who and what Amazon is AND we already have one in the household. I have no experience with the Google Playstore. That being said I might get the Nexus just for something different if the mood took me.

If I was looking for a tablet for astronomy, I wouldn't look at either of these tablets. There is a reason why most of the niche apps are at Apple... that is where the marketshare is.

#29 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:33 AM

So, Carol, have you decided whether you're going to get a tablet? If you do get one, please let us know which one you picked and, after using it awhile, how you like it.

Hi Carol; haven't decided yet, if I would get a lot of use out of one, since I have a Netbook, and a Kindle reader.

#30 dandabson

dandabson

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dover, DE

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:00 AM

Here is my take on tablets. My wife has a Kindle tablet and I have a 7" Acer. For her the Kindle is ideal. She uses it as an E reader a majority of the time. She has some apps installed but, not many. I use the Acer for everything. There is a Kindle app I use for reading. I also have access to Google books which allows me to pick from a greater selection of books. The Kindle doesn't have access to the play store. There are not as many free apps on the Kindle app store. I use an app called PdaNet on my tablet. It allows you to ghost internet off of a smart phone without your carrier noticing, pretty cool. If I were to do it again the only difference I would make is to get the 10" version. Things can get a little cramped on a 7" screen. I tried using a netbook for guiding and imaging, again it got a little cramped. I ended up using an older full sized laptop. Much easier.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics