7 replies to this topic

#1 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Louisiana

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

I finally had the chance to use my LX80 and C9.25" in EQ mode for the first time this past weekend. I did the two star alignment and alignment was successful. But I noted that there were offsets from true North in RA and Dec indicated on the controller. I was wondering if I should have loosened up the latitude and base and moved the mount to zero out the two offset numbers, and then re-performed the alignment. I found nothing on using the two offset numbers to achieve a more accurate polar alignment.

Would the numbers have zeroed out if I had loosened the latitude and base and moved the mount?

Would I then have to redo the two star alignment?

Thanks.

Jack Huerkamp

#2 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

Yep, in theory if you make the adjustments indicated by the controller you'll improve the polar alignment, but you will need to re-align once you make those changes since you'll change the offsets. If you're only off a bit and you're not imaging I'd make not of it and leave it alone. Plan-B might be to make the changes and re-synch the mount, that might work, but I'm not sure.

#3 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Apollo

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

Gday Jack

Would the numbers have zeroed out if I had loosened the latitude and base and moved the mount?

Maybe, maybe not. Those numbers are supposed to indicate how far off the pole your RA axle is pointing, but they can be suspect, and inconsistent. Ie even doing a faked 2 star align indoors, you can end up with an error display, even though the scope was left "on target" for both stars.
The best way to run is to get close, drift align then do a fresh polar one star align.

Would I then have to redo the two star alignment?

Yes. Any change to the mounts base "mechanically" after doing a 2 star align will wreck the pointing model it uses for gotos.

Andrew

#4 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

Thanks Andrew and John. I will try out moving the mount and redoing an alignment. The numbers indicated I was pretty far off of true north.

Jack

#5 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

Will you be bringing it to Hammond?

David

#6 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

David,

I won't be attending Hammond Starry Night. I have the opportunity to go to dinner with Charles Duke, Apollo 16 astronaut.

Jack

#7 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

What? Dinner with an astronaut instead of watching trains whiz by? :grin: Make sure to take a couple of pictures!

David

#8 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

Not just an astronaut - a MoonWalker.

Jack

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics