Photo

Does anyone have as LX200 Power Panel Parts list?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dig

Dig

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Cary, NC USA

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

All,
I need a parts list for the LX200 powerboard. C2 (a Tantalun Coated capacitor 25v 6.8 uF) shorted out on my power panel. Since, I need to replace this CAP I thought I'd fix a few other nagging items but I can't find the parts specification on them from the schematics. In particular I need to order:
1) SW1 (it appears to be an ON-ON DPDT switch)
2) C1 a 0.001 uF CAP (it also appears to be coated
3) The Power Connector ... What type is it? I'd like to replace it as it's been intermittent for a while and since I'm going to replace these other items I might as well replace it too.

If any one has a complete parts list that would be great too.

Thanks in advance.

#2 LoveChina61

LoveChina61

Viking 1

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:37 AM

You might find this article interesting HERE

He says to replace the power panel's C1 with a 10uF 35volt working Tantalum or Electrolytic capacitor. Mine blew out and I was able to find the very same Tantalum one at Radio Shack to solder in its place.

#3 Dig

Dig

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

Hey, I just wanted to say thank for the tips and the schematics they really help a lot!

#4 Dig

Dig

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

I just want to shout out a big THANK YOU! to everyone who helped me with suggestions, tips, an hints on my recent power controller issue. I was able to repair the controller and replace the defective caps and power connector. The scope has been working well ever since ... now if I could just get the weather to clear up when there isn't a full Moon. I'd be much happier! ;)
Thanks again you were all very helpful.

#5 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

It is important to note that there are TWO different LX200 products and they have VERY different electronics inside. The original LX200 product line is now commonly-referred to as the "Classic" LX200 and the newer one is the "GPS" series.

So when asking LX200-related questions it will always be very important to indicate if you are dealing with a Classic or a GPS model.

The most-common questions/problems related to the Classic LX200's are runaway slews (it's the pots!) and blown tantalum capacitors in the hand controller (replace those bad boys with higher-voltage ones BEFORE they blow!)

The most-common questions/problems related to the LX200GPS's are related to initial alignments, GPS issues and intermittent electronics crashes.

#6 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:09 PM

[quote name="Christopher Erickson"]1) 1) SW1 (it appears to be an ON-ON DPDT switch)
3) The Power Connector ... What type is it? I'd like to replace it as it's been intermittent for a while and since I'm going to replace these other items I might as well replace it too.

The SW1 is a pesky little devil to find. Meade used these in quantity, but I can't seem to find any in that size.

The power connector is a coaxial power jack of the "N" type.

#7 Dig

Dig

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

BTW, I just wanted to let every one know that I successfully repaired my Meade LX200 on my own. I could never find the exact ON-ON DPDT switch that I needed so I soldered a new DPDT switch to the to posts of the existing witch and it works great. I also upgraded my tantalum capacitors and replaced several components that were scorched during the short. The scope has been work very well for over a year and I'm very please with the over all repair. Thanks again to all who send helpful hints as well as schematics and tips for improvements to the power controller!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics