Eyecups for Pan 24s

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RCMann

RCMann

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

Anybody use aftermarket winged eyecups with these? What kind fits and works? I want to be able to snuggle in to a nice comfy pair of light-blocking, relaxing eyecups for extended viewing periods and the stock TV eyecups ain't making it happen.

Thanks!

#2 crazyqban

crazyqban

Vanguard

• Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:10 AM

I do. I love them and I think that they greatly enhance the binoviewing experience. I use the ones that are sold by Orion.

#3 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

• Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:07 AM

This my (and many of my club members) favorite light blocker:
http://www.darkskies...oded_vests.html

#4 CarlDD

CarlDD

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

Hi

The Dark Skies hood is good, I have the Solar version and use it, but it is not a replacement for Snuggling Up to the eyepiece with winged eyeguards.

Winged eyeguards do two things, block stray light ( essential for Solar H-Alpha viewing ) and allow a reference position to be maintained with regard to the eyepiece / eyeball axis and distance.

I find the hooded solar vest usefull when I use the eyepiece pairs that do not lend themselves to winged eyeguards such as the 28mm RKE pair I have.

Best Regards

Attached Files

#5 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

Anybody use aftermarket winged eyecups with these? What kind fits and works? I want to be able to snuggle in to a nice comfy pair of light-blocking, relaxing eyecups for extended viewing periods and the stock TV eyecups ain't making it happen.

Here you go - Baader Winged Rubber Eyecups - from AlpineAstro

#6 RCMann

RCMann

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

Thanks all,

I'll be going with the Baader winged eyecups suggested by DaveJ...the Orion eye guards are no longer made and although the hood probably works really well, I do a lot of daytime terrestrial viewing and the hood...well...I don't want to be accused of being some psycho stalker! Plus as CarlDD noted, you can't snuggle up to a hood.

I appreciate the suggestions!

#7 mark8888

mark8888

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

I can't help but post pics here of my very unpatented and unpopular Astronohat solution. It costs $3 to make with materials from any dollar store, it's very light and comfortable, and it blocks 100% of the stray light, without impeding air movement in front of the lens (so it doesn't fog). I use it almost every time I observe.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics