• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tarotmac

tarotmac

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Ellesmere Port, UK

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:27 AM

Which of these two do you consider the better option for mobile use and Astrophotography Celestron C11-SGT (XLT)or the CPC 1100 and wedge. Hoping to get one or the other in may, but which one :p

#2 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:19 AM

The Gem mounted one ...

Wedges are expensive
The weight of the fork and OTA is quite substantial ...Toss in a wedge and the Gem is simply easier to transport and set up

That said I have no use for Gem mounts anymore because my old body is not as flexible as it used to be and I have no interest in AP

Bob G

#3 tarotmac

tarotmac

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Ellesmere Port, UK

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:02 AM

Thanks Bob, comments duly noted and appreciated

#4 HeyJP

HeyJP

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boulder, CO

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

Tarot,

Here's the way I break it down. The CPC (alt/az) is best for visual observing and quick astrophoto setup for 30 second snaps. Comfortable viewing angles. Less than a minute to align.

An EQ mount (GEM or CPC/wedge) is required for long exposure photography and requires polar alignment which is a bit more consuming than a quick align on CPC.

I think it comes down to your astrophotography requirements. I tend to do visual observations 90% of the time and some amount of astrophotography. So I just picked up a CPC1100 this summer and love it! I am in the process of picking up the HD Wedge. While installing the scope on the wedge is a bit more pain, I don't expect to do it a lot and having the more portable, quicker setup Alt/Az dominates.

But, if you are going to spend 40-50% of your time, or more, doing photography. You certainly might be better off with the GEM mount.

My 1.5 cents worth.

Jim

#5 oldstargazer

oldstargazer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western Oklahoma

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

The cpc on the wedge tracks well but isn't nearly as steady as the gem mount. With the gem a light breeze won't make it shake at all and can even image in some wind that is maybe up to a few mph. The cpc on the wedge can't image in anything that you can feel because it makes the structure very shaky. With the cpc in alt/az mode you can image in wind that you can feel almost as well as the gem except for the sky rotation.

So my vote goes for the gem with the much better bite sized weight sharing pieces. Putting the cpc on the tripod is a bear anyway, add the wedge and it is a grissly bear.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics