Jupiter in Yellow

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:53 AM

Observing Jupiter in mag 3 skies with a high overcast did, indeed, give Jupiter a soft tawny hue. I hope it shows well in the sketch. It wasn't much, but it was apparent. Not sure if the overcast was giving that hue or if it's Jupiter itself.

Seeing was not stellar, about 7/10 with very few really steady moments.

Some detail could be seen in the 30 minutes I spent trying to render a sketch. There were a few surprises, however. First, there seemed to be this closed loop feature between two festoons approaching the preceding limb. It seemed to have another soft streak trailing from it, as shown. Saw that several times. Kind of weird, really, almost like an illusion.

Inside this structure, and up against the NEB, there did seem to be a bit of a brighter spot. It gave the impression of a notch in the NEB between the two festoons. Strikingly, the larger festoon near the trailing limb had a very similar brighter feature tucked right up against it. The strange thing is, this brighter feature appeared to fan out off much like a comet. It was pretty impressive to see, so I decided to post this sketch.

Ganymede's shadow was transiting with Ganymede just off the trailing limb. I did jump to 480x to study Ganymede, again. No luck, really, nothing to really call an albedo feature. But, I felt like I was close. Ganymede was just jumping around too much.

I am also trying out my new Jupiter template, might need some work. Thanks for looking.

14 Nov 1450UT, Sys I 223, seeing 7/10, transparency mag 3, 170x UO 10mm Ortho Celestron 1.6x shorty Barlow, unfiltered.

Attached Files

#2 astronz59

astronz59

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

Very competent sketch and interesting comments Norme. I admire those who can pull off a good digital rendering. I've tried and the results are always too mechanical. Well done! :refractor: :rollgrin: :waytogo:

#3 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

Astron, thank you.

Yes, it's difficult to draw using filled squares and circles. Ran across a free, more artistic program called sketch paint. That made all the difference. Now, those more mechanical programs are simply used to add layers, maybe a little clean up work. Learning to draw with a mouse was a little rough, too. :)

#4 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

Norme,

Very nice sketch of Jupiter :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#5 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

Your color representations are very believable, Norme. It reminds me of times where I've seen Jupiter through summer haze.

One thing I'm enjoying about the angle of Jupiter right now is how low Ganymede's shadow hits the southern part of the disk. In a way it adds some added detail to the otherwise sparse SPR.

I also find in interesting to read your comments regarding the "paltry" 7/10 seeing which limited your ability to reveal surface features on Ganymede. You do realize you need to be razzed for complaining about 7/10 seeing...right?!? :poke:

:grin:

#6 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

Norme,

This is amazing. That subtle color is wonderful.

Frank :)

#7 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

...you need to be razzed...

Absolutely realize that. One night last season, I packed it in during 7/10 seeing. Crawled into bed and thought, "did I just pack up under pretty descent skies?"

Being spoiled is something of a curse. When seeing is not the best, but still good, one fails to appreciate even those nights.

Seeing has been below normal in the last week. But, I've observed Jupiter despite the hardship. Actually, it helps to learn to see through the conditions, again, to savor each steady moment. And sketch faster. :)

#8 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:44 AM

I also find in interesting to read your comments regarding the "paltry" 7/10 seeing which limited your ability to reveal surface features on Ganymede. You do realize you need to be razzed for complaining about 7/10 seeing...right?!? :poke:

:grin:

That was my initial reaction, too. :lol:

Nice observation, Norme. Festoons often have those bright areas tucked up against them--nice catch and well rendered.

#9 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

:lol: Man, I would definitely wish these skies on others...

#10 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

Very nice capture Norme. I like it.

Andre.

#11 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

Thank you, Andre. It was your sun that made it possible. :)

#12 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

Interesting. That's the exact hemisphere I saw last night but with eurooas shadow/transit. The rift in the neb was like u have it as well as the festoon next to it.

Nice work.

Pete

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics