Photo

Airline travel

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 BarryY

BarryY

Sputnik

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:08 AM

I will be flying to Arizona this January and I would like to take a small C4 SCT scope with me for observing and imaging. My plan was to pack the C4 with the SE mount in my carry on, and put the tripod into the check in luggage. Are there any procedures or restrictions that I need to be aware of for going through security?
Thanks

#2 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

As you go through the TSA line, I would suggest taking the initiative to open the case and tell them what's in it as your turn to go through carry-on screening imminently approaches. You might want to think through whether there's anything awkward or nonintuitive about the removing the dust caps or diagonal for inspection, and also how to quickly give TSA a heads-up about any such matters, remembering that you have very limited time for effective interaction with them if there's a significant line of people moving through.

Also, be aware that if one of your flights is relatively full: a) you need a hard-shell case capable of withstanding efforts of your fellow passengers to cram their own carry-ons into the overhead bins; B) if your boarding slot is one of the later ones in the process, the bins may already be too full to find a slot for it, and you may have to either put it under the seat, or else the crew may insist that you put it with specially checked luggage (along with other folks carry-ons that won't fit in the bins). In other words, don't count on being able to put it safely in an overhead bin; pack it ruggedly enough to withstand being banged and crammed or even checked at the last minute.

#3 Jim Rosenstock

Jim Rosenstock

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MD, south of the DC Nebula

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

Good advice. Be mindful, once TSA has your carryon for inspction, they can't let you touch it again until they're done, and they're gonna need to see inside everything. Make it easy for them!

The most scrutiny any of my optics ever got was my old Edmund Astroscan....apparently its plastic tube is still quite X-ray opague, and the durn thing does kinda look like a portable mortar launcher, huh? :o

Good luck, happy travels, clear skies,

Jim

#4 rguasto

rguasto

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

I built a wooden box for my C6 and cut down the original foam packing to fit it. Found the size of the overhead bins on Southwest and Jet Blue. No problems with TSA, although everyone (including TSA) just had to know what it was!

Attached Files

#5 rguasto

rguasto

Viking 1

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

Attached Files

#6 rguasto

rguasto

Viking 1

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

last one

Attached Files

#7 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

not finished, still working on the mirror but this is my airline travel toy...8inf4 fun.

finding the right truss length. :grin:

Posted Image

#8 Pauls72

Pauls72

Viking 1

• Loc: LaPorte, IN

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

Just remember you checked luggage could be treated like this.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=749iU2Zv1kw

#9 fuzzystuff4ever

fuzzystuff4ever

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Micco, FL

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:05 AM

We flew up to NEAF last year with a an SV66 and a Lunt 60mm H-alpha scope; just told the TSA folks that there were telescopes inside the cases, they X-rayed them and there were no problems. It was cool to see what the inside of the Lunt looked like. :drool:

#10 condensermike

condensermike

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: chicago

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

Nice work! Where can i find plans?

#11 Traveler

Traveler

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

Looks very nice!!

#12 johntrob

johntrob

Ranger 4

• Loc: Georgia, USA

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

I brought my Pronto onboard in the TV carry case, the case went through xray, unopened and out. No questions.

Next time I went through with a C-90 OT. Open bag check required, they even knew it was a small scope, no biggee. Just had to check. I was impressed they knew what it was.

John

#13 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

Where can i find plans?

http://sketchup.goog...97cae091d9e7...

#14 Bill Weir

Bill Weir

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:12 AM

With modern xray machines they know what is in the bag. I've travelled lots with my little ED 80. On a trip to and from Vietnam the only problem I had was they wouldn't let my camera tripod go in carry on even though it would fit. Actually the only problem I had was coming through Hong Kong and the guy at the Xray didn't like my like pack if hex wrenches and took them away. I found it funny as up to that point they had passed through about a dozen machines. Go figure.

Like already stated tell them it's a scope as it goes into the scanner and all will be well. I've only had to take the end cap off once and that was at San Francisco.

Bill

#15 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:29 AM

I fly a lot, and have experienced issues with hard cases being taken onboard as a carry on. So I purchased a pelican type case that meets the maximum carry on size guidelines, and found a bag to sleve it in which doesn't attract unnecessary attention. Also, I carry a fold up bag, and wear a a photographers vest loaded with all the small and valuable items which won't fit in the carry on, or I don't want to risk being lost in checked baggage. Once on board, I unfold the canvas bag and store the vest with its contents; kind of like having two carry on's. ;)

Attached Files

#16 Traveler

Traveler

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:16 AM

For airline traveling i use my Tenba Rolling Backpack. In that bag i transport my little Takahashi refractor with camera, lenses and ep's. My experience is when you talk open about your equipment, the employees are always very polite. They understand what you bringing with you. In India and Nepal this is less the fact. I had two times that i had ask for the chief because the employees touched everything in a way i didn't like...

#17 Mirzam

Mirzam

Skylab

• Loc: Lovettsville, VA

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

Tools and lasers should not be in the carry on.

JimC

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics