• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

Hi all!

Just received my new Baader coma-correcting GPC for newtonians today, along with my Baader Steeltrack focuser for my 12" Lightbridge. Both looks stunning! The focuser is incredibly well made and is fantastically smooth. With the 1.7x CC-GPC, I can get the 12" f/5 Lightbridge down to 104x with my 25mm Zeiss eyepieces in the Maxbright and 130x with the 20mm GSO Superviews. Can't wait to try it out on some globulars and bright galaxies! I also expect great lunar/planetary views. The Steeltrack is somewhat shorter than the GSO focuser, so I can now reach focus with the 2.6x GPC without having to remove the locking ring on the 2" nosepiece.

I'll experiment with it, of course, but does anyone has any experience stacking the 1.7x CC-GPC and the 1.25x and 1.7x GPCs?

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#2 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

You will love it! I was using the 1.7X CC-GPC with the 1.25X glasspath the last few nights, in my 14.5" f4.65 dob and MkVs, with 24 Pans, 32, 24 and 16mm Brandons, 20mm TV Plossls, and 18mm KK Orthos. Performance was excellent on Jupiter, with and without the 1.25X glasspath. I tried the combo out on the Double Cluster and the Trapezium with excellent results, even in average seeing I saw beautiful pinpoint stars to the edge with virtually no coma.

#3 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

Sounds absolutely fantastic! I'm afraid this'll kill my poor C8 completely, though. No reason to use it any more. One of the last reasons I kept it was the views of globulars in the binoviewer, but with the CC-GPC, the 12" is going to wipe the floor with the poor C8...

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#4 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

Had first light this evening, in the poorest of conditions imaginable. It was *just* possible to see one star in the 20mm eyepieces in the Maxbright with CC-GPC on the 12". I was right in my decision to get the shorter Baader focuser. It reached focus, but there was not more than perhaps 6mm to spare... It would not have reached focus with the stock GSO focuser.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics