• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#76 peter scherff

peter scherff

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

Hi Davio,

It is not as nice in person. I have been wearing it every day for over 2 decades. It is beat (so am I).

Peter

#77 msg-meteorites

msg-meteorites

Vendor (Meteorites)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

After a few disasters with specimens falling to pieces i am wary now with pallasites given that i live in the wet and windy UK :-(

I have found Seymnchan to be very stable however and also funnily enough Pallasovka which is known as a bit of a ruster. I of course dream of a monster slice of Esquel or Fukang :-)

#78 sealevel

sealevel

Apollo

• Loc: Florida

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

Hi Davio,

It is not as nice in person. I have been wearing it every day for over 2 decades. It is beat (so am I).

Peter

Hey Peter,
Go to Wallgreens, buy some jewelry cleaner, soak it for 30 minutes or so, and she'll feel brand new. I can't promise that about us...

Davio R.

#79 sealevel

sealevel

Apollo

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

Hi Davio,

Peter

Hey Peter,
Go to Wallgreens, buy some jewelry cleaner, soak it for 30 minutes or so, and she'll feel brand new. I can't promise that about us...

Davio R.

#80 sealevel

sealevel

Apollo

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Hi Davio,

Peter

Hey Peter,

Davio R.

#81 sealevel

sealevel

Apollo

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Hi Davio,

Peter

Gee, I know I didn't post the above post three times...... I think :question:

Peter, check out the olivine in this specimen, below. Talk about not so nice!

This is a very interesting and highly oxidized pallasite I recently secured.

NWA 4482, a rare Pallasite Stony-Iron type meteorite found in the Sahara Desert in 2006. The iridescent olivine crystals are rainbow-like and are very fascinating, especially under a microscope! Most of the metal has oxidized away, leaving an interesting ghostly river-like look surrounding or intertwining with the olivine crystals on polished slices. The uncut stones display an amazing array of smooth or broken crystals, which are incredible under magnification as well. Some uncut examples still have some remnant crust also. This pallasite was recently classified at the University of Washington. The original reported weight for NWA 4482 was just 232 grams in one stone, but since its debut, an additional amount of material was recovered making the Total Known Weight 5,816 grams, which is still low for a desert pallasite.

Davio R.

Attached Files

#82 sealevel

sealevel

Apollo

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Side B

Davio R.

Attached Files

#83 peter scherff

peter scherff

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Hi Davio,

It looks great to me. There is no such thing as an unredeemable pallasite. Here is a photo of a Huckitta thinsection. Huckitta is most likely as weathered as NWA 4482 is.

Peter

Attached Files

#84 sealevel

sealevel

Apollo

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

Hi Davio,

It looks great to me. There is no such thing as an unredeemable pallasite. Here is a photo of a Huckitta thinsection. Huckitta is most likely as weathered as NWA 4482 is.

Peter

Neat pic! I think you're right, Peter. It's hard to snuff out true beauty. I wonder how many more billions of years it will take to extinguish the rest of the Olivine transparency in your Huckitta.

Davio R.

#85 peter scherff

peter scherff

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

Hi Davio,

We humans do more to hasten the demise of meteorites than nature ever could.

Peter

#86 sealevel

sealevel

Apollo

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:47 AM

Hi Davio,

We humans do more to hasten the demise of meteorites than nature ever could.

Peter

Amen!

Davio R.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics