Photo

Is it worth establishing an observatory?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#51 Phil Wheeler

Phil Wheeler

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: 3 miles WNW of Celestron

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

But I haven't seen USB cables long enough to do the job. Maybe there's an industrial source (as opposed to Staples, Best Buy, etc.).

Anza, great location near OCA site. For cables you might want to try Amazon.

#52 Mirzam

Mirzam

Skylab

• Loc: Lovettsville, VA

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

USB 2 is limited to 5 meters cable length. To go longer you need to use either a powered hub to boost the signal or individual cables with a built-in signal booster. I've used the booster cables to go a few meters further than the standard 5 m. (This gets me into my warm room which is mighty nice at this time of year.)

JimC

#53 Calypte

Calypte

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Anza, California

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

Anza, great location near OCA site. For cables you might want to try Amazon.

You're right about Amazon. Lots of long cables. I'm east of OCA site, in Terwilliger Valley. There's a weather station at our house: www.weathercurrents.com/anza/

#54 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:56 AM

We originally got interested in astronomy because of visual observation and we both enjoy that. Over time, I became interested in AP but there is a pretty significant learning curve there.

An intermediate step to AP is astrovideo which can start at a modest <$80 in NLTech CCTV cam giving a max 17s exp [see V&EAA forum] - needs a 12VDC to power and TV monitor for display and will outperform the eye on DSOs - 'cos the eye [great that it is] sees no more after ~1/25sec :shocked:

#55 ZeroID

ZeroID

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:35 PM

This is true. AP isn't easy.

-Rich

Yes, but when the skies are cloudy you have hours of fun playing with your images getting the best out of them.

#56 Lorence

Lorence

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

This is true. AP isn't easy.

-Rich

Yes, but when the skies are cloudy you have hours of fun playing with your images getting the best out of them.

There's plenty of fun to be had getting the best you can out of live images.

This isn't too shabby for three minutes of my time.

Attached Files

#57 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Gemini

• Loc: Fort Worth TX

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

Steve,
Go, have someone build you a nice roomy observatory, starting TOMORROW! The heaviest thing you will lift is the key from your pocket to open the door! There's just nothing like walking out to a scope ready to use, polar aligned to single arc-seconds, and all your gear neatly organized.
Mike

#58 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

I'm attempting an image of M45 at the moment. It took me about 20 minutes to get everything clicking. Again, the best $1200 I've spent for this hobby.

David

#59 StarWrangler

StarWrangler

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Three Rivers, MI U.S.A>

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:32 PM

"My God, It's Full Of Stars"

Alan O.

#60 Mittag56

Mittag56

Mariner 2

• Loc: West Amboy, N.Y.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

My goodness yes....I've been disabled for 9 years and it crimped my observing allot.....new building for observatory use, has added so much more...things can stay set up....everything is there...no finding a helping hand to carry or assemble...must say from my side of the fence...best addition ever..... :jump:

#61 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

Short answer, IMO absolutely yes!. I'm a bit disabled and it makes all the difference. As David posted, it may be the best $$ you spend in the hobby, that is how I feel. I also in an LP city environment. Amazingly a neighbor about 2 blocks away saw mine and now has his own - his is much nicer.

#62 tomo

tomo

Viking 1

• Loc: Shelby Twp, Mi

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

Having a dome is the best decision I made. It allows instant access and increase my time under stars 10x easily.

#63 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

Short answer, IMO absolutely yes!. I'm a bit disabled and it makes all the difference. As David posted, it may be the best $$ you spend in the hobby, that is how I feel. I also in an LP city environment. Amazingly a neighbor about 2 blocks away saw mine and now has his own - his is much nicer.

I had to chuckle just a little when I read your post saying your neighbor's obs was nicer than yours. Mine is as spartan as it gets. It's painted nicely and looks nice on the outside, but if you were to remove the astrohardware and the carpeting, my obs interior would be no different than a typical garden shed. However, it's water tight and has withstood three hurricanes. Besides, when all is going well, I don't spend a lot of time in it. I imaged M45 last night and it took about 20 minutes to start exposing. I went out a little over two hours later, made some flats and bias frames and came in and went to bed.

If I had to tear stuff down and move it into the house, I'd have been out there a LOT longer. If you're so inclined, build yourself an obs. :ubetcha:

David

#64 Dan McConaughy

Dan McConaughy

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: LA

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

Absolutely. It's no more than a 5 minute setup to observe and shut down, which includes covering the mount and OTA with a couple sheets to minimize dust on them. If you have guests over to observe, you should get something like the 11.5' observatory as it will hold a large cassegrain and several people. I live outside Los Angeles; so it's probably darker where you are.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics