Photo

Jupiter and Ganymede on Nov 11th (wavelet edited)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lcd1080

lcd1080

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

This was the first opportunity I've ever had to image Jupiter's large moon Ganymede; I recorded the image at 0456UT on the 11th of November. Because of the large difference in brightness between Jupiter and Ganymede I processed each one separately and then placed the Ganymede layer on top of the Jupiter layer. I never know if I've gotten albedo features on Jovian moons or not but the image does show a dark central region on Ganymede surrounded by a lighter color area. For this image Jupiter was at an elevation of 62 degrees; seeing was only fair which was surprising because the upper level winds (at the 300 mb level of the atmosphere) were moving at a very weak 20 knots and the humidity was around 90%. Usually those conditions result in better seeing but other factors of which I'm not aware must contribute to the overall seeing equation.

I used a C11 with a Televue 2.5x Powermate amplifier working at F/24 together with a monochrome CCD webcam and color filter wheel.

EDIT: I added a second version of this image where I lowered the wavelet values in Registax. As I mentioned below the aesthetics are better but that comes at the expense of less image detail.

Thanks for looking,
Pete
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

Good one Pete....! :waytogo:

Strangely, Ganymede seems to reveal detail at times even if the seeing won't do justice to Jupiter itself.....glad you were able to score some albedo marking on Ganymede! :applause:

#3 sfugardi

sfugardi

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: CT

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

Pete, nice Ganymede detail. I went back to my 2.5x powermate last night after many sessions extending my 1.8x & 2.0x barlows with various tube lengths trying to get the right image size. Thanks for posting

Regards,
Steve

#4 lcd1080

lcd1080

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

Thanks Darryl and Steve! Here's another version of the image where I used lower wavelet values; I think the aesthetics are better but it comes at the expense of less image detail.

Pete

Posted Image

#5 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley of the Sun

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

Good work Pete! The second image is pretty good, if about 10% of the red was taken out it might help give it some balance. I think you did get some real details in there - so congratulations!

Glenn

#6 lcd1080

lcd1080

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:08 AM

Thanks Glenn! I reduced the red weight a bit as you suggested. Looks like there'll be another opportunity to image Ganymede here on the East Coast on Saturday the 17th at 11:00 PM EST if the forecast holds. I'm looking forward to that.

Pete
Posted Image

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics