CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter and Ganymede on Nov 11th (wavelet edited)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lcd1080

lcd1080

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

This was the first opportunity I've ever had to image Jupiter's large moon Ganymede; I recorded the image at 0456UT on the 11th of November. Because of the large difference in brightness between Jupiter and Ganymede I processed each one separately and then placed the Ganymede layer on top of the Jupiter layer. I never know if I've gotten albedo features on Jovian moons or not but the image does show a dark central region on Ganymede surrounded by a lighter color area. For this image Jupiter was at an elevation of 62 degrees; seeing was only fair which was surprising because the upper level winds (at the 300 mb level of the atmosphere) were moving at a very weak 20 knots and the humidity was around 90%. Usually those conditions result in better seeing but other factors of which I'm not aware must contribute to the overall seeing equation.

I used a C11 with a Televue 2.5x Powermate amplifier working at F/24 together with a monochrome CCD webcam and color filter wheel.

EDIT: I added a second version of this image where I lowered the wavelet values in Registax. As I mentioned below the aesthetics are better but that comes at the expense of less image detail.

Thanks for looking,
Pete
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

Good one Pete....! :waytogo:

Strangely, Ganymede seems to reveal detail at times even if the seeing won't do justice to Jupiter itself.....glad you were able to score some albedo marking on Ganymede! :applause:

#3 sfugardi

sfugardi

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: CT

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

Pete, nice Ganymede detail. I went back to my 2.5x powermate last night after many sessions extending my 1.8x & 2.0x barlows with various tube lengths trying to get the right image size. Thanks for posting

Regards,
Steve

#4 lcd1080

lcd1080

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

Thanks Darryl and Steve! Here's another version of the image where I used lower wavelet values; I think the aesthetics are better but it comes at the expense of less image detail.

Pete

Posted Image

#5 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley of the Sun

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

Good work Pete! The second image is pretty good, if about 10% of the red was taken out it might help give it some balance. I think you did get some real details in there - so congratulations!

Glenn

#6 lcd1080

lcd1080

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:08 AM

Thanks Glenn! I reduced the red weight a bit as you suggested. Looks like there'll be another opportunity to image Ganymede here on the East Coast on Saturday the 17th at 11:00 PM EST if the forecast holds. I'm looking forward to that.

Pete
Posted Image

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics