Thank you!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

Thanks to Alan T for having faith and vision to give this show a try in our neck of the woods.

Thanks to all the Vendors for having faith in Alan and the community and giving us a chance.

Thanks to all the attendants for backing up that faith by coming (and some even buying!).

Thanks to Joe C. and the rest of the Cloudy Nights folks I finally got to meet in person.

You all kicked it and I look forward to many more years of the same in the future. You guys rock. :bow:

#2 ArizonaScott

ArizonaScott

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:11 AM

Agreed, ASAE was an amazing event!

I hope to have some money on me when I return next year, there were just too many new and cool items to come back empty-handed.

#3 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

Well stated Ron...

Hey Scott... they take(took) plastic too !!
Seeing that much "stuff" in one place. That was amazing !!

#4 Joe Cipriano

Joe Cipriano

Entropy Personified

• Loc: Uh... anyone have a GPS?

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

Well said, Ron - and thank you. :bow:
It was a pleasure to finally meet everyone.

#5 PGW Steve

PGW Steve

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

As everyone else has stated, I concur with Ron, job well done by the ASAE team.
I made the trip from Winnipeg, by no means the farthest participant, but I did manage to spend over $3K at various vendors, and another $1K upon returning, directly related to interacting with the vendors there.
It makes a big difference to see some items first hand, and how they will fit into play with existing gear, or allow evolution into future systems.
I will be attending next year as well, I have a few people in my local club interested in coming down too.
I didn't get to meet very many CN members, I'm hoping to change that next year.

#6 Shneor

Shneor

Viking 1

• Loc: Northern California

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

Maybe we ought to set up a time and location to meet next year - or maybe one meet each day.

As I've said on other threads, kudos to the organizers, vendors and all who had a hand in putting on the show, and a special thanks to TAAA for the Saturday night star party at CAC.

Clears,

#7 demetry

demetry

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

Well I've back in Mt. Pleasant SC for a week now, after visiting the beautiful state of Arizona. Many thanks to you guys for your efforts in showing us great hospitality? The ASAE was terrific. It was a treat to meet and talk to the multiple famous vendors. The enrichment lectures on Saturday were excellent.

I want to give a huge THANKS to John Kalas. On Friday I drove through mostly cloudy skies to the CAC for the star party. There were only 4 of us including John there. He gave us a great tour of the complex and his house. The whooping winds and clouds let up just a little bit to allow us to do some viewing through the C14. Did not quite get the needed astrofix, but there were a few beautiful astro-moments.

I was able to get with my great buddies Mike Spooner (also my mirror maker) and Tom Taylor.

The weekend beforehand, I was fortunate to spend a few hours viewing on Kitt Peak with the guides under spectacular skies! I also drove to Oracle State Park one night and did binocular astronomy under excellent skies,too.

All in all, you guys live in a great place. You shared your skies and toys eagerly.

Congratulations to the TAAS!

Thanks Again! :jump:

Demetry Papadopoulos

P.S. I will be back!

#8 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:37 AM

Thank you for putting up this topic, Ron- it really says it all.

I am happy to see so much enthusiasm for having it again next year. This is really going to be something to look forward to.

-Rich

#9 Gone caving

Gone caving

Vendor (Lunt Solar Systems, Lunt Engineering)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Underground... really

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

Everyone is SO WELCOME!!!! I personally want thank each of you who attended. I know there is alot to improve on and we will get it done ! Next years show will be bigger and better this you can bet the ranch on... Working on the dates for next year now... Looking like the weekend of the 9th and 10th or the weekend of the 16th and 17th 2013. I will post as soon as the Convention center gets back to me.

All of you helped to make it an amazing event! :bow:

#10 ArizonaScott

ArizonaScott

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

Hey Scott... they take(took) plastic too !!

Hate to say it, but my business expenses already have the plastic way out of control. Cash is king!

#11 rtomw77

rtomw77

Apollo

• Loc: Deer Valley, AZ

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

We had a great time in Tucson at ASAE. Please come back next year.

Tom

#12 Gone caving

Gone caving

Vendor (Lunt Solar Systems, Lunt Engineering)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Underground... really

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

I'll be BACK......

#13 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

I definitely enjoyed myself; I had a better time in Tucson than I did at PATS in September--and Tucson is a much shorter drive for me! PATS had better watch their rearview mirror or else the ASAE will steal their thunder.

Bottom line--ASAE was great and I hope to get there again!

#14 Joe Cipriano

Joe Cipriano

Entropy Personified

• Loc: Uh... anyone have a GPS?

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

I'll be BACK......

Then so will I. :grin:

#15 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:45 AM

We'll be back. And in greater numbers!

-Rich

#16 TOM O

TOM O

Ranger 4

• Loc: Joshua Tree CA.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

I definitely enjoyed myself; I had a better time in Tucson than I did at PATS in September--and Tucson is a much shorter drive for me! PATS had better watch their rearview mirror or else the ASAE will steal their thunder.

Bottom line--ASAE was great and I hope to get there again!

I had a marvelous time in Tucson. We will be there again for sure!

As for PATS, I thought it brought another great event for astronomy fun and enjoyment and was fantastic! There were some great presentations and very well done displays. TRAN and some of the JPL/ Mt. Wilson/ stuff was terrific. Pasadena had lots of access to the old town atmosphere and Cal Tech crowd. Lots of restaurants, great convention center, and lots of other good stuff.

As soon as the astro monopoly game starts, astronomy loses. Look at the war that Meade unleashed on Celestron for the level-north star finding system? What good did that do? Not much, it seems. Things worked out, but at what cost and to who, and all because of unbridled zeal on the part of the over competitive players trying to out do each other.

Good sport is one thing, decimating the competition is something else, and will only harm the good of our hobby. IMHO...

In California, RTMC is having issues with weather, and attendance. Night Fall has lost their venue due to economic blight in the desert. PATS is under pressure. All, not good for amateur astronomy.

More astronomy events means better chances for outreach, education, and darker skies. I hope all astronomy shows flourish and grow! I support them all.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics