Favorite vendors?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#26 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

For telescopes, eyepieces and so on, Astronomics. They provide excellent service, maintain a good amount of stock, are knowledgeable and very professional. For odds and ends, Scope Stuff is good.

#27 Meadeball

Meadeball

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Midlothian, Virginia

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

Check out telescopes.com (not Orion, which is telescope.com). It's a division of the Hayneedle online store, and I was surprised at how much stuff they sell. They're pretty competitive, although you need to watch their "sale" prices since often they're not as good as the likes of B&H Photo (another good one). But they've got great product descriptions, reviews and product photos. I've purchased a couple of things from them and they're always sending me promotions -- I currently have a $10 off my next order coupon waiting to use. It's a fun place to go have a look around. And their shipping is prompt and on-time, and a lot of their stuff has free shipping.

I had a question about an eyepiece and I called their 800 number, expecting some guy who knew as much about eyepieces as he did about lawn furniture -- which Hayneedle also sells -- and wound up talking to the guy for 15 or 20 minutes. They're so serious about their astronomy store that every employee has to attend an astronomy course and demonstrate a knowledge of general astronomy and the product line. He was actually fairly with things like focal length, eye relief, etc.

Meade

#28 izar187

izar187

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 43N

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

In addition to the good options already mentioned, I'll add:

University Optics: http://www.universityoptics.com/
Meridian Telescope: http://www.meridiantelescopes.com
Willmann-Bell: http://www.willbell.com/
Siebert Optics: http://www.siebertoptics.com/
Surplus Shed: http://www.surplusshed.com/

Ones local home improvement store too!

#29 rsbfoto

rsbfoto

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

Hi Guys,

Well all for you living in USA there are many options but when it comes to residents outside US there are not many vendors willing to sell especially to Mexico as for many vendors we are just Bandidos down South the border of Rio Grande :grin:

When I started 9 years ago I met one guy who really had and has an enornous patience in answeting questions, and that is Darrin Lewer from Land Sea & Sky, Texas Nautical repairs ot also known as Takahashi America.

I know the equipment they sell is not cheap and perhaps that is why nobody has mentioned them, but the technical service is first class, but die to that I only own Takahashi equipment aparto from one AstroTech 8"RC which I bought used in Mexico from a friend who bought it from Astronomics :grin:

I have also dealt with Astronomics and Optcorp and as well they have a superb service and patience :jump:

#30 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

- I haven't purchased anything from them yet but Eyepiecesetc is on my list based on past dealings and help I have gotten from the proprietor, Don Pensack, (Starman1)

:waytogo:

support one of our own :grin:

but one thing, I went to his website and my wife saw him standing next to his teeter and she said," oh whose that guy, he's really cute."

I quicly responded, "He's too old for you!!!" :lol:

#31 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

Firsthanddiscovery

gotgrit

highpointscientific

#32 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

- I haven't purchased anything from them yet but Eyepiecesetc is on my list based on past dealings and help I have gotten from the proprietor, Don Pensack, (Starman1)

:waytogo:

support one of our own :grin:

but one thing, I went to his website and my wife saw him standing next to his teeter and she said," oh whose that guy, he's really cute."

I quickly responded, "He's too old for you!!!" :lol:

Many years ago I started noticing that when a good looking woman came into the bar or restaurant where I was, and her eyes scanned the room looking at the people there, her eyes quickly scanned right past me as if I wasn't there.
My wife says I'm not rich enough to be good looking.

anyway, thanks for making my day.
:lol: :rainbow: :tonofbricks:

#33 dlapoint

dlapoint

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Moncton NB Canada

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

Astronomics once in a while. Always get great service. 90+ is going to Canadian telescopes these days. The free shipping makes all the difference. Even if they charge more for an item than another vendor, it is still a better deal in the end. If a US company would offer free shipping to Canada they'd make a killing.

#34 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mendon, MA

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

I've bought most of my gear from the "big guys"; Astronomics, and OPT. Great suppliers!

And I've also bought a lot of stuff from people who make the parts for us; ADM, Seibert Optics, and Russell Optics. Great creators!!

I also like to buy from people I respect like Don at EyepiecesEtc.com. I completed my set of Panoptics on the TV end of year sale. :-) And Scott Horstman of BackyardObservatorys.com Great People!!!

#35 MHamburg

MHamburg

Apollo

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

SkiesUnlimited for great prices.
Ed Thomas for his entertaining Hypertune.

Michael

#36 M13 Observer

M13 Observer

Apollo

• -----

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

I have no idea why US vendors ship free to the lower States, but charge astronomical amounts to ship to Canada.

I would have to agree to a certain extent, although I believe they are just charging cost when it comes to USPS.
But, if they provide free shipping within the U.S., why don't they subtract the cost of mailing to the U.S.from the cost of mailing to Canada, therefore arriving at a more equitable shipping cost for Canadians?

More to the point of this thread, Agena and Scopestuff get my vote for U.S. dealers.

Eric

Extra paperwork shipping to Canada. Depending on the item there can be a little or a lot of it.

#37 uniondrone

uniondrone

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Streetlight Archipelago

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

Easy for me. Astronomics, Agena Astro, Scopestuff. There are many other fine vendors, but these three get my calls first and in this order.

Agreed. :like:

#38 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

As a Canadian I only tell my colleagues of one Canadian dealer NEVER to use.

And every Canadian amateur from sea to shining sea knows exactly who I'm talking about.....

I have had good dealings with Astronomics, OPT, Anacortes, Hands On in the USA as well as various specific equipment manufacturers...

In Canada, the greatly missed Efstonscience was my 'go-to' dealer - Canadian Telescopes and their free delivery are on my radar now, too.

Dave

#39 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:35 AM

In Canada, the greatly missed Efstonscience was my 'go-to' dealer

I couldn't agree more. They are supposed to have a web store up in the coming year, but I will miss the 'hands on' experience whenever I had the chance to visit them.

Eric

#40 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:39 AM

Extra paperwork shipping to Canada. Depending on the item there can be a little or a lot of it.

Judging by the shipping rates to Canada vs USA on just about any item, there must always be a lot of it.

Eric

#41 planet earth

planet earth

Surveyor 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Ontario Canada 43*N 80* W

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:11 AM

Here's another option in Canada
http://www.lirelanature.com/
Sam

#42 Thomas Karpf

Thomas Karpf

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newington, CT

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

Again, thanks all for your feedback. I'm asked occasionally for recommendations by friends and family who are thinking about getting into the hobby, and I wanted to be able to refer them to a number of places. I didn't 100% trust my own experiences since I have dealt with so few vendors to date.

#43 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

Is "NEAF" a vendor???? That's were I buy everything.... ;)

#44 aezoss

aezoss

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Great White North

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:10 AM

+1 Lire La Nature as well as All-Star Telescope, Alberta Premium Optics, Canadian Telescopes, Agena Astro, Astro-zap and Orion.

Good experiences with all of these vendors, although brokerage fees have been highly variable for items entering Canada from the US.

Lee

#45 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

For on-line vendors, Astronomics.com generally or ScopeSuff.com for scope mod parts. For brick-and-mortar vendors, fortunately in Raleigh, NC whe have a professional camera supply store that has a bona fide astro section (and is a Televue dealer with lots in-stock), Southeastern Camera (at their Atlantic Avenue store). They go to NEAF and Winter Star Party every year as vendors, although I suspect as much to make these pleasurable junkets tax-deductible as to actually make $$$.

#46 daveingu

daveingu

Mariner 2

• Loc: Guelph, ON Canada

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

Another great source for Canadians is KW Telescope, I have had great experiences with Brady and Brian, always helpful. Prices are competitive and stock is usually pretty good too!
Dave

#47 Pauls72

Pauls72

Viking 1

• Loc: LaPorte, IN

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

I've used the following and have had good dealings with all of them.
OPT (Oceanside Photo and Telescope)
High Point Scientific
Agena Astro
Scopestuff
Orion
Garrett Optical
I've had indirect dealings through our club with Hands On Optics and they where good to work with too.

Being the prices are usually fairly close, most of time who has it in stock or the cost of shipping something will sway me as to who to use.

#48 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

Have had really good results with Telescopes.net (Woodland Hills Camera in CA). They are also a "recommended Dealer" by Televue and other major mfgrs.

#49 skullpin

skullpin

Ranger 4

• Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:09 PM

I can also vouch for KW Scope in Canada. Last March, they got me some Takahashi UW eyepieces for a competitive rate (when duties are accounted for).

Apparently they absorbed Perceptor's assets last year when John Kidner retired. Perhaps that was a vote of confidence from a long trusted name amongst Canadian vendors. I dealt with John last year just before he retired and he was a cool guy.

Keith

edit: My mistake, it was Jerry Wright who last owned Perceptor and who I dealt with... sorry Jerry! No change otherwise to the sentiment here. :)

#50 hottr6

hottr6

Vanguard

• Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

:waytogo: for Agena Astro.

Ordered on Black Fri. Arrived Cyber Monday. :goodjob:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics