FSQ-106 adapter...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 thesubwaypusher

thesubwaypusher

Viking 1

• Loc: New York City

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

Hi, does anyone know what adapter I can use to mate these two surfaces? One is the back of the 106ED (male) and the other is the front of the 2" Baader PRISM diagonal (female). I looked on the TNR site but they really don't explain specifically enough what fits what.

Thanks, Chris

Attached Files

#2 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

Didn't the telescope come with a 2" diagonal adapter?

If so, you only need the Baader 2" nose peice. This screws to the diagonal body and inserts into the diagonal holder.

Alpine Astro usually has these:

T2-16 2" Nosepiece

#3 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

Hi Chris,

You can go to Precise Parts web site and build custom Takahashi M92 Female thread -> T2 Male thread adapter.

http://www.precisepa...cgi-bin/adapter

You choose Tak FEQ-106ED with TKP36001 on left, Baader T2 Prism on right.
I think you would need 15mm-ish length. That's what I would make if I had FSQ-106ED.

I am not 100% positive that you could come to focus to infinity without GPC (or even with 1.25x GPC), though.

Good luck.

Tammy

#4 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

You need the coupling (as shown on the Tak America web site FSQ106ED visual system chart) #8, TPQ1061 - this should have come with your scope and is female 92mm to female 72mm
AND:
A Fieldstein #4 adapter TCD0008, this is male 72mm to male T-thread.
That will do it but note, you may need to space out the T-thread for clearance of the bino body, I use either a Baader 7.5 mm T-thread extension (available at Alpine Astro or the Baader quick coupling for the Mark V or Maxbrights (recommended so you can adjust the final angle of the tightened diagonal as I don't see a CAA on your scope. (edit: I just noted the captains wheel on your scope for final angle adjustment)
Rex :)

#5 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

I am not 100% positive that you could come to focus to infinity without GPC (or even with 1.25x GPC), though.

Good luck.

Tammy

As for coming to focus:
Your scope is listed as having 178 mm of in-focus
less about 2mm for the 92-92mm adapter on the focuser
less about 3 mm for the coupler (92-72mm)
less about 5mm for the Feildstein #4 adapter
Leaving you with about 168 mm of usable in-focus.
The Mark V's (including the quick release coupling are listed at 123 mm,
the Baader Zeiss prism is listed at 41mm,
total for the MarkV and Baader/Zeiss prism = 164 mm
(allow 5-10 mm {recommended by Baader} for differences in eyepieces and your eyes, and you are close, maybe yes, maybe no ).
If you use the 1.25 GPC, the total for the Mark V/Baader-Zeiss prism is about 147 mm (+ the 5-10 for adjustments and 7.5 for a T-thread extender to allow the bino body to swivel if you need it, total (including 7.5mm extension )= about 165.5, so you should be good !
Rex

#6 thesubwaypusher

thesubwaypusher

Viking 1

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

Didn't the telescope come with a 2" diagonal adapter?

If so, you only need the Baader 2" nose peice. This screws to the diagonal body and inserts into the diagonal holder.

Alpine Astro usually has these:

T2-16 2" Nosepiece

Thanks Ed, but that takes up much too much travel.

#7 thesubwaypusher

thesubwaypusher

Viking 1

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

Hi Chris,

You can go to Precise Parts web site and build custom Takahashi M92 Female thread -> T2 Male thread adapter.

http://www.precisepa...cgi-bin/adapter

You choose Tak FEQ-106ED with TKP36001 on left, Baader T2 Prism on right.
I think you would need 15mm-ish length. That's what I would make if I had FSQ-106ED.

Good luck.

Tammy

Hi Tammy:

Before I went to PP, I wanted to see if anyone knew what parts to use so I could just buy them and be done with it. I will first investigate Tom's suggestion and then PP and eventually post results.

Thank you!

Chris

#8 thesubwaypusher

thesubwaypusher

Viking 1

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

Good luck.

Tammy

As for coming to focus:
(allow 5-10 mm {recommended by Baader} for differences in eyepieces and your eyes, and you are close, maybe yes, maybe no ).
If you use the 1.25 GPC, the total for the Mark V/Baader-Zeiss prism is about 147 mm (+ the 5-10 for adjustments and 7.5 for a T-thread extender to allow the bino body to swivel if you need it, total (including 7.5mm extension )= about 165.5, so you should be good !
Rex

Hi Rex:

Thank you very much, that was very kind of you. I will get on that as soon as I get a chance and eventually post results for the next person who needs them.

Chris

#9 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:04 AM

Chris, one more tip, if you are using an alt-az mount and do not need to swivel the bino body? (due to the awkward position the scope ends up in on a GEM). Then instead of a spacer between the Feildstein #4 adapter and the diagonal, you may want to consider a Baader T-2 Spacer Ring Set, 15 Rings (# T2RING) (which is available at Alpine Astro) . This set of T-thread spacer washers will allow you to set the angle where the diagonal tightens up on the Feildstein adapter by choosing the correct thickness washer. Note as T-thread is .75mm thread pitch, every multiple of that is one full turn.
P.S. the inner diameter of these washers is quite tight and you may need a little force to stretch them (they are plastic) over the threads. I use a small screw driver to help them on and off.
Also: you can use the same set of washers to move the Mark V quick lock screw away from the body of the scope ( I see that it is pointing toward the scope and in a hard to reach position in your picture).
Rex

#10 thesubwaypusher

thesubwaypusher

Viking 1

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

Thanks Rex, I just ordered them!

#11 thesubwaypusher

thesubwaypusher

Viking 1

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

Good luck.

Tammy

As for coming to focus:
Rex

Rex, you were right on the money, thanks!

Problem solved!

Chris

Attached Files

#12 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

Your welcome Chris. Glad it all worked for you. How are the views?
Rex

#13 thesubwaypusher

thesubwaypusher

Viking 1

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

Your welcome Chris. Glad it all worked for you. How are the views?
Rex

I only had a chance to use them in the city and all I can say is the views at such low mag are BRIGHT!

#14 Kunama

Kunama

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:05 AM

Just digging up this thread ............

I am also considering going Binocular with my FSQ106ED with a Precise Parts custom adapter.

My plan would be to remove all Tak adapters and fit the PP adapter directly to the FSQ draw tube, then attach the Baader Quick connector to the PP adapter, etc.

FSQ106ED (female M92) > PP adapter  (male M92+2mm+T2 male thread) > Baader Quick Connect system > Baader Zeiss T2 Prism > Baader MkV BV > EPs 

Any thoughts would be appreciated,  I have PMd Chris to see how it worked out for him but haven't heard back.

I also have the Tak Extender-Q 1.6X (50.8) but would like to get the BVs to work at native.

Thanks,

Matt

Edited by Kunama, 17 January 2015 - 12:06 AM.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics