Stone Tarvern Farm

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 LateViewer

LateViewer

Apollo

• Loc: Pelham NY

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

I had been plotting a get away to observe this week with the new moon. I was able on Wednesday to take some time off to make the 3 hour drive to Stone Tavern Farm near Roxbury NY.

This is a private horse farm, B+B, ATV rental, wedding event camping place that is in the "blue zone" north and west of NYC.

It is private and they charge to set up and or camp. $20.00 per person. The skies are dark and the horizons are fabulous. Great southern horizon! Think Sagittarius in the summer.

I went up alone and had a great session. No worries about some kids coming up on me in a car cruising for trouble while I had thousands of dollars in gear out.

You don't need a permit or need to know anyone you can just show up. Best place I know of in the NY-NJ-Ct tri-state area.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I hope you make it out there.

Al

#2 NeilMac

NeilMac

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

Nice !

#3 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

• Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

This is a private horse farm, B+B, ATV rental, wedding event camping place that is in the "blue zone" north and west of NYC.

It is private and they charge to set up and or camp. $20.00 per person. The skies are dark and the horizons are fabulous. Great southern horizon! Think Sagittarius in the summer.

No worries about some kids coming up on me in a car cruising for trouble while I had thousands of dollars in gear out.

You don't need a permit or need to know anyone you can just show up.

Hi Al,
I saw your post and want to go there. I'm in Bergen County NJ, and its about 1.5 hours away. I can go up anytime since I retired young.
You say you just 'show up'. If you're only observing, is it $20? I assume its per car load? Can you camp overnight for that, next to your car/scope? Where on the property should one go to observe and since its a wedding event site, are there all night lights on?

Has that happened to you, some stupid kids hassling you? Dag!

thanks!
Bob

#4 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

Very nice!

Has that happened to you, some stupid kids hassling you?

I've not been out at a remote site & alone too much... so nothing like this has ever happened to me. But it is a concern, nonetheless- just the sheer vulnerability of it.

Not just "stupid kids hassling", but rattlesnake bite, wild boar action, or some other "act of nature".

The one site i have used, solo, is $5 cash-in-an-envelope per nite, per vehicle- stay as late as you want (the top CSC site in my sigline ;)). Supposedly there's a park-ranger on duty, but i've yet to actually see one while there. But at least cell phones work, plus there's a payphone on-site, and a permanent outhouse with lites & water. 'Green' skies. Not too bad... prone to high winds, tho, and not always predictably.

I like the sound (& look! :)) of your B&B site, tho! Glad you have it available- and a 'blue' zone, no less! :waytogo:

#5 RafaelP

RafaelP

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NYC

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

Al,
Looks amazing! I hope to make it out there one day. There is only so much you can see from Midtown Manhattan. Perhaps when I get a scope bigger than the C90...
-Rafael

#6 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

Nice!

#7 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

Nice...is that orange county? What scopes you got there?

#8 bherv

bherv

Surveyor 1

• Loc: WMass

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Just avoid going there late spring and early summer otherwise you will have to contend with being swarmed by flys.
Barry

#9 wky46

wky46

Surveyor 1

• Loc: west Ky.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

Just the name sounds nice and so inviting :cool: Looks beautiful...Phil

#10 Dan G

Dan G

Vanguard

• Loc: Minisink, NY, USA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

Nice...is that orange county?

Nope it's up in Delaware County. Very nice area.

Dan in NY

#11 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

I google earth'd the farm and tried to get an image from your second pic to see the hills. :grin:

Attached Files

#12 Doc Willie

Doc Willie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

STF is a very good viewing place. The Amateur Observer's Society (Long Island) has used it for its summer star party. Sky is quite good, one of the darkest places in the Catskills, and the folks there are very accommodating to astronomers, dealing with lights, etc. I would recommend calling ahead to make sure they do not have another event scheduled. [image]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AmateurObserversSociety/photos/album/634573935/pic/1579547814/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc[/image]

#13 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

they have a live view of the farm during the day.

Stone Tavern Farm

#14 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

they have a live view of the farm during the day.

Stone Tavern Farm

thanks. oh brother, it looks so cold up there right now!

#15 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

all that snow...

my friend who lives real close to waywayanda park, said even she has snow all over.

#16 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

Some of us are considering coming up. Are there any outlets for power or is it all power tanks.
Can you camp right next to your 'stuff'?
Thanks
Bob

web cam: http://stflive.com/s...er/stflive.html

#17 Doc Willie

Doc Willie

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

Some of us are considering coming up. Are there any outlets for power or is it all power tanks.
Can you camp right next to your 'stuff'?
Thanks
Bob

Yes, they will arrange for electricity on the field.

Yes, you can camp right next to your stuff.

#18 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

I had been plotting a get away to observe this week with the new moon. I was able on Wednesday to take some time off to make the 3 hour drive to Stone Tavern Farm near Roxbury NY.

I went up alone and had a great session. No worries about some kids coming up on me in a car cruising for trouble while I had thousands of dollars in gear out.

You don't need a permit or need to know anyone you can just show up. Best place I know of in the NY-NJ-Ct tri-state area.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I hope you make it out there.

Al

Hi Al,
Went there the other night and they told us to go in the fenced area. But in that area you are hit with a very bright flood light from the house up the hill and also to a lesser extent the house closer, across the adjoining road.
Does this location, a bit lower, block those lights? We were also looked after by a huge and friendly dog.
Thanks
Bob

#19 LateViewer

LateViewer

Apollo

• Loc: Pelham NY

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

Bob,

Where I set up there is a large evergreen tree that blocked the light from the house across the road and I had the pond above me blocking the farm house light.

#20 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

Wait a second, they're portraying this place as a dark sky getaway, and you still have to deal with floodlights? :foreheadslap: What gives?

If I want bright lights in my face while observing, anywhere nearby will do... and it's free.

#21 Rocketlawnchair

Rocketlawnchair

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, ON

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

Wait a second, they're portraying this place as a dark sky getaway, and you still have to deal with floodlights? :foreheadslap: What gives?

If I want bright lights in my face while observing, anywhere nearby will do... and it's free.

I may have missed something, but nowhere in this thread or on their website did I read that THEY portray this site as a dark sky getaway.

Looks like a great observing site to me.

#22 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:08 AM

I may have missed something, but nowhere in this thread or on their website did I read that THEY portray this site as a dark sky getaway.

Nowhere did I say that the owners of the farm portrayed their property as such; "they're" refers to other amateurs who have visited this site and raved about the dark skies... I've both read and heard this from them. No previous mention of floodlights was ever made by any of them to my knowledge, hence my comment. Additionally, one could reasonably expect fairly dark skies at this location, when referring to its location on the LP map; otherwise, why make such an extended trek?

I agree that it's undoubtedly a good observing spot, provided, however, that one can successfully dodge the local light pollution... otherwise, one cannot dark-adapt, in which case it's not much better than a lot of considerably more convenient sites much nearer to populated areas under orange or red zone skies.

My :foreheadslap: stands.

#23 Doc Willie

Doc Willie

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

As I recall, there are one or two lights, not very close. Probably in the summer they are blocked by trees, as I barely remember them being there. In any case, it is no where near like home, where there are lights in every direction.

#24 Rocketlawnchair

Rocketlawnchair

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, ON

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:42 PM

Nowhere did I say that the owners of the farm portrayed their property as such; "they're" refers to other amateurs who have visited this site and raved about the dark skies... I've both read and heard this from them. No previous mention of floodlights was ever made by any of them to my knowledge, hence my comment. Additionally, one could reasonably expect fairly dark skies at this location, when referring to its location on the LP map; otherwise, why make such an extended trek?

I agree that it's undoubtedly a good observing spot, provided, however, that one can successfully dodge the local light pollution... otherwise, one cannot dark-adapt, in which case it's not much better than a lot of considerably more convenient sites much nearer to populated areas under orange or red zone skies.

My :foreheadslap: stands.

Sorry Amicus, I misunderstood you then.

Believe me, I fully understand the effect a single light source can have on our night vision, as my remote site is also a horse farm, and often there's an external light left on somewhere when I arrive. I'm lucky though, because I know the owners well and can simply walk over to the light and shut it off. No other lights on the horizon except a very dim light over a kilometer away (which comes in handy for aligning my finderscope).

Occasionally someone is still riding in the outdoor arena when we get there, and that's lit by a large "stadium" light. But they very rarely ride beyond dusk, so by the time we're set-up, the light gets turned off.

It would be frustrating to drive that far, only to have a light on close by.

#25 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

My bad, Dave; upon re-reading, it's apparent that I should have been clearer in my earlier post, as I now see that it could be very easily misread :o

Yes indeed, it only takes one ill-placed light to really mess up an otherwise excellent site. If it can be turned off or, in the worst case, blocked, the site is salvageable. Since there are apparently at least a couple of lights up at STF (even if blocked by trees, as Doc has mentioned), it might be wise to take a portable light block of some type when venturing up there; this would really apply anywhere a long drive to a site is undertaken, as a means to avoid disappointment upon arrival. A tarp, rope and a couple of poles would likely suffice.

Fred

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics