New England all in the blues Saturday!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Guzas

Daniel Guzas

Viking 1

• Loc: Bethlehem NH/ Boston MA

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:54 PM

Oh how much I have been waiting for a Saturday night where there is no moon and the colors of the clear sky chart are all in the blue. And dark blue to boot!

If the forecast is right its gonna be a great night for the deep sky objects and I also can't wait to take a long hard look at Jupiter.

BUT it's going the be COLD up in NH tomorrow night. Down in the teens! Brrrrr. In preparation I bought a pair of Carhartt Artic quilt lined overalls to help assist in the keeping me warm. I also have my mad bomber fur lined hat ready to go.

I can't wait to get out as it has been so long (about a month) since I have had the opportunity with free time and cooperative weather to quench my scope thirst. I hope it is all the clear sky chart says it might be. I especially love it when it's a Saturday night so you can plan all day as to what to observe! Carefully plan and get set up early. I'm like a kid on Christmas eve!

So get out there all you fellow New Englanders! If you dare battle the cold! I wish you all well!

Clear dark skies!

#2 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:46 AM

Clear skies and enjoy the night! Tell us what really stood out for you:)

#3 Daniel Guzas

Daniel Guzas

Viking 1

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

Will do! Thanks!

#4 Chuck67

Chuck67

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

looks like a fine night in Nova Scotia also, have fun!

#5 bherv

bherv

Surveyor 1

• Loc: WMass

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

Yes, it does look like a fine night. I wasn't planning on observing tonight because I am recovering from a cold. My wife told me yesterday that I needed to vacate the house because her friends are coming over for a girls night.Since she usually complains when I head up to Arunah Hill for an overnight session, I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity when she told me to go and observe. Luckily the weather is cooperating. Scope is setup and collimated, woodstove in clubhouse is going so it is time for some observing.
Barry

#6 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:54 PM

Well, about 20 miles north of Barry's quite nice spot up on Arunah Hill, I just came in from 3 1/2 hours of the finest skies we've had hereabouts in months!
I visited lots of old friends, spent at least half an hour watching for particularly good moments of Jupiter, did a mini-Messier marathon in the Orion/Auriga/Gemini area, the open clusters in particular were stunningly crisp and clear tonight. Cold fingers and toes finally drove me indoors, but I'm a happy boy!
Russ

#7 stevenwav

stevenwav

Mariner 2

• Loc: New England

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:42 AM

Jupiter had some very crisp moments in Central MA tonight - a treat in the mak newt! :jump:

#8 idealistic

idealistic

Viking 1

• Loc: massachusetts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:27 AM

Loving life!

Attached Files

#9 bherv

bherv

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:39 AM

Watched Ganymede disappear into Jupiter's shadow at 11:30. It took nine minutes for it to fade out, I saw some pretty good detail on Jupiter. Could see some white spots in SEB just east of the GRS. Now I have to go back out and try to observe the Horsehead Nebula.
Barry

#10 Daniel Guzas

Daniel Guzas

Viking 1

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:41 AM

Just got in myself and all I can say is WOW!!!!!,

Jupiter was MINE this evening and the clear sky chart was dead on. From about 12:00 a.m. till I packed it up at 1:15 a.m. The views were I believe once or twice in a lifetime steady seeing.

I could easily make out all the cloud bands and some swirls! I kept gazing and gazing thinking it was a dream but it was true! We were blessed with some of the best seeing anyone could ask for! In my 2-1/2 years of observing this is the best I have ever seen Jupiter!

I didn't want to come in but my nose was freezing and I was getting tired. I think I spent about 2 solid hours on Jupiter alone and the last hour I just could not believe my eyes.

I was going to wrap up the evening with a look at the great Orion nebula. But called it quits with a fist pump to the sky to Jupiter and blew a kiss in his direction and thanked the great planet for letting me see him for all his glory.

This will not be a night I will soon forget! It was a dream come true! And it's Saturday!!!.... Well Sunday actually while I am writing this but heck I can sleep in tomorrow!

Glad some of you had great views as well.

WOOOOHOOOO! I'm gonna sleep great tonight and I'm a happy guy! I feel like the " King of Gods" :cool:

#11 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:58 AM

Wow and all I got last night was 5/10 seeing with some extended blur moments here in Connecticut.

Couldn't ho past 120x on Jupiter with my 70mm.better nights allow 163x.

Pete

#12 YetAnotherHobby

YetAnotherHobby

Mariner 2

• Loc: Central CT

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

Last night was the best in weeks here in CT. Captured several images of Jupiter, spent some time looking at NGC globulars and planetary nebula, then wandered over to Orion once it cleared the trees in my back yard. There was frost on the scope when I finally called it quits a bit after 1 am. And tonight doesn't look too shabby either!

#13 Daniel Guzas

Daniel Guzas

Viking 1

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

Wow and all I got last night was 5/10 seeing with some extended blur moments here in Connecticut.

Couldn't ho past 120x on Jupiter with my 70mm.better nights allow 163x.

Pete

I'm sorry to hear that Pete. It seems most in NE had good views and seeing. Perhaps ther is some distortion in your area due to heat island effect? I don't know... :shrug:

Tonight looks like it may be ok as we'll. At least here in NH. But unfortunately it's back to the big city for me tonight. Otherwise I wold be set up again.

Cheers!

#14 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

Sounds like you all had a great time:)

#15 bherv

bherv

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

Best view I have had of the Horsehead. It was visible with both the UHC and H-Beta filters. It is usually very hard to detect in my 16" or the club's 17.5", which I was using last night. Stephan's Quintet was also easier to see than usual. It was one of those rare nights where transparency and seeing were both very good. That makes seven months in a row with a clear weekend moonless night that I have observed.
Barry

#16 tecmage

tecmage

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Glenview, IL

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

Last night was a great night to observe. Caught Jupiter myself.

#17 keith.craigs

keith.craigs

Lift Off

• Loc: Eastern Ma

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

...and again tonight ! Happy viewing to all who are off tomorrow.

#18 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

Yep, after returning from the feast, I'll be taking advantage of the not-too-cold temps and dark blue seeing to do some lunar work, with a visit to Jupiter, of course.....
Russ

#19 Daniel Guzas

Daniel Guzas

Viking 1

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

Yes yes Yes!!!!!!

Just got to my place in NH and looked at the clear sky chart!!!!

Gonna be another Jupiter night for me. Glad I fueled up on thanksgiving goodies all day! I think it's going to be a late night. Errrr. Early morning I mean.

Good steady clear skies all! Talk to you in the morning!

#20 LLD

LLD

Lucky so far

• Loc: Ma..

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

Well the clear sky clock shows lots of blue and dark blue for tonight but its thick fog outside now, So for everyone who has clear skies Enjoy :jump:

#21 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

Still lot's of detail on the Moon as it's heading for full. Brighter stuff like M45, Dbl. cluster and of course Jupiter!

Have fun :jump:

#22 keith.craigs

keith.craigs

Lift Off

• Loc: Eastern Ma

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

out from 2 until 3:30. humidity was tough, I have a dew strap for the SCT, but nothing on the telrad or eyepiece. Also: trees to my east, house to the south and street light on the west.

jupiter was nice during the times my eyepiece remained fog free.

#23 Daniel Guzas

Daniel Guzas

Viking 1

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

I was out from 11:00 till 2:00 and Jupiter looked good. But not as steady and clear as last weekend. Seeing was really good but not perfect. I had a hard time making out all the details but I had some good snaps of clear steady views.

I also took a look at the Orion Nebula and it looked awesome even though there was moon glow.

Boy just sitting in the chair looking up last night was a treat. The stars were so bright and once the moon set Orion really shined. All in all a good night. Not the perfect seeing I was hoping for but pretty good!

And saw 1 shooting star... :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics