1 reply to this topic

#1 hodja

hodja

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Istanbul

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:31 AM

Hi everyone,

Has anyone experiences with Meade LX80 10" scopes?

Cheers

#2 7lx200gps

7lx200gps

Sputnik

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

A lot of people are saying the mount is very overrated from Meade. It can handle a 10" SCT in Alt Az, but it does have some problems with stability. In EQ mode, you need to cut your weight in half because of the momentum swings and drag on the motors. The mount is rated for 40 pounds of a instruments. A 10" is around 25 pounds, and that's pushing it on that mount even for Alt Az. I've heard reports that in EQ mode, the mount really can't handle more than 15 pounds at most. Staying under 15 pounds is nice and stable, but over that, your in for a long night of disappointment. Rod Mollise made a good point in another thread about these being a good mount someday, but no today. And that's true. If you wanted to still get an LX80, I'd say go for the 8" model instead. Reports are a lot better, but regardless a 10" is pushing that mount to the very limit.

Also Meade quality control varies lately on these mount. Some are good, some are bad, and some need to be sent back to the factory for tweaking.

The other mounts you might try if you want Alt Az is the iOptron MiniTower II or the MiniTower Pro. These are rated for 35 pounds. For EQ, I'd suggest a CGEM or something equivalent.

I hope this helps, but I would stay away from a 10" LX80 because of the weight and stability issues that will occur in both AZ or EQ.

Clear Skies!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics