What to do when you can't get to a dark site

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

my goal is to have a 30-40" scope on an isolated mountain top in south New Zealand, and fly back and forth in my private jet, but it is not going to happen

I had a similar dream.... a small home somewhere in NE Arizona or western New Mexico... But my wife and I recognized that was not realistic. My dream, a small place in the nearby mountains with a telescope or two of reasonable size... This is what that dream looks like:

Jon

Attached Files

#27 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

Jon,

Do you climb that pole in the back ground to look through the EP?

Stan

#28 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

Jon: Ya just gotta do a little better then a WalMart scope..... :lol:

#29 DavidC

DavidC

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

I don't get to a dark skies as often as I would like. Most of the time I have given up on viewing from my back yard, unless its 1 or 2 in the am when all the flood and porch lights are out. Too many street lights. There is a vacant lot about 8 miles away that I go to do my rural observing, I go for mostly brighter objects like double stars, planets, brighter globulars, and open clusters, PN's show up pretty good also. There are a few street lights, but they are quite a ways away. I like going to www.washedoutastronomy.com they have some good stuff, and Loughton Astronomical Association in England, and use their Loughton List, a list of urban observing DSO's for urban skies. Google Loughton Astronomical and check out the Loughton List, it's really informative.
David

#30 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

Earlier this summer I went to Cherry Creek State Park. There's a nice model airplane field there....I soon discovered that after hours, it's an international mosquito port.........

#31 dodgerm37

dodgerm37

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: N.E Ohio, USA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

I roll my scope out of the garage onto the driveway and set up in the shadow cast by house ( area lights across the road).As with many things, make the best of what's on hand. Bob

#32 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

Try getting a mallincam or similar video camera device. Lots of DSOs show up great on them, especially nebulae. Or, similarly, try filters. A good LP filter can make a huge difference depending on the lighting around your town.

#33 SteveNH

SteveNH

Viking 1

• Loc: Millbrae, CA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

Not only is traveling to a dark site becoming impractical for me these days, but my backyard has a very narrow view in a white zone (next door to the airport). I've taken up a quest to refine my planetary imaging using a webcam - that's something you can really get into in these otherwise unfavorable conditions. Step by step I'm collecting up or improving on the various pieces of equipment necessary to do this, and the photos get better and better. Hopefully where you are in Hawaii will offer you at least some nights of excellent seeing - here, they are very far and few between, but despite the slow progress, it's been challenging and exciting.

#34 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:47 PM

Earlier this summer I went to Cherry Creek State Park. There's a nice model airplane field there....I soon discovered that after hours, it's an international mosquito port.........

:rofl2:

Fortunately there are no flights into San Diego... :ubetcha:

Jon

#35 Starman81

Starman81

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:17 AM

Try to make the best of what you have. I used to observe in direct light in the parking lot of my apartment complex. Then I started observing in the backyard (duh) which is luckily shielded from most of the neighborhood lights. Do your best to get dark adapted and put in the EP and just start surfin! I no longer use my smaller scopes that much anymore--an 8" dob for me is grab'n'go. I grab it and go to the backyard. For light pollution you need as much aperture as you can get unless you are strictly doing lunar/planetary/double stars. I put in a low power EP and go starhopping, seldomly even looking up. I remain glued to the EP or looking at SkySafari on my phone. What great fun! Pretty soon, I realized my skies are not that bad, not bad at all for a white zone. I routinely see stars down to mag 4.6 at the faintest. Hearing these stories of mag 3 skies shows me--it could be a lot worse!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics