• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

I was thinking about downloading two of the issues for the 3.95. I wanted to get the two issues on M31 globulars that are referenced on the Adventures in Deep Space website.

I was just wondering if anyone who had purchased a PDF of these if they were happy with the product, worth the money, etc.

#2 nunciusaustralis

nunciusaustralis

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Rio de janeiro, Brazil

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

I bought it a few times. Good deal. Specially here ( brazil) where i will never found it another way... No regrets.

#3 KidOrion

KidOrion

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Carbondale, IL

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:10 AM

Don't know about the PDFs, but the magazine itself is absolutely fantastic. Essential stuff for deep-sky observers.

#4 obrazell

obrazell

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:01 AM

The PDF's are pretty good. The scanning may not be the best but the information contained is first rate. I wonder if Dave ever thought of scanning the back issues of DSM. In terms of value for money they are excellent. You get all of them of course with the Astronomy DVD

Owen

#5 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

I have all issues. The are more than readable, but not perfect. I think the errors, or occasional lack of quality are due to the age of the issues... I mean when they were originally printed, no one saved a pristine copy of each, thinking they would ever need to be scanned (who even knew of scanning technology back then).
But the are worth every penny. You can read every word on computer, or iPad (I use iPad 2).
David

#6 The Planetman

The Planetman

Viking 1

• Loc: Western KY

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

I have the complete Deep Sky Magazine collection as produced by Kalmbach, plus pre-Kalmbach Deep Sky Monthly beginning with January 1980.
I still enjoy occasionally pulling one out and reading it again.
It's interesting to see how observing and imagining has changed. But at the same time, some things have remained the same.
Another thing that I notice, some of the contributors are still around and active, but others seem to have vanished; such as A.J. Crayon, Lee Coombs, David Healy....

#7 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

reading the advertisments is fun also!!

#8 The Planetman

The Planetman

Viking 1

• Loc: Western KY

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

Yes it is....and it's interesting to see who is still in business after all these years.

#9 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

Well I downloaded four issues on topics that interested me. The magazines are very good and the scans are very clear. I think these are well worth their cost.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics