• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 stray1

stray1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:46 AM

Another attempt at capturing Jupiter. Inspired by the work of Norme and others, this time around I decided to actually spend some time at the EP, rather than simply taking a quick peek and making a quick, arbitrary sketch. I am glad that I did.

This time around I detected more detail, especially in the northern hemisphere and along the northern equatorial band. While my representation is not 100% accurate, it does capture the "spirit" of what I observed last evening. Seeing was average (III); transparency not as good, but not all that bad.

Thanks for viewing!

:grin:

-stray-

Attached Files

#2 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:23 AM

Dude! You're an artist (and a comedian.) I really like the way you present Jupiter. Mine are simply boring in that regard - lacking panache.

I like that low power view, sometimes thing of doing one, too, to show the moons. Very well done.

I am here to tell ya, sketching your observations will have you seeing more and more detail in no time. The more you see, the harder it is to get 100% accurate. :)

Beautiful, Stray...er, cat?

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:53 AM

Sketch looks very nice. Staying with it can be a key factor.

Frank :)

#4 stray1

stray1

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:37 AM

Thanks!

Norme: You think I'm funny? Funny how? Like a clown? I make you laugh? Like a clown?

Frank: My sketch of Jupiter is of far less quality (and detail)than yours. May I add you to my list of people to watch and emulate?

-stray-

#5 stray1

stray1

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:50 AM

Mine are simply boring in that regard - lacking panache.

Boring? Heh.

You underestimate the influence of your observations and postings. Less than two weeks ago I was a Jupiter observing "nOOb" who believed that all that Jupiter was made of was a pale yellow dot (about the size of a BB) with a couple of vague, brownish (dirt brown?) bands running through it diagonally. After viewing your sketches I now realize that this planet is NOT yellow (pale or otherwise), but shaded with varying intensities of white, gray, or black.

Norme, the detail of your sketches have compelled me to remain at the EP, fiddling with the focus, to determine whether or not I can see what you see with my somewhat limited aperture.

Your sketches are forcing me to force myself to SEE.

-stray-

#6 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:20 AM

Then the mosquitoes have been worth every slap, itch, and annoying buzz. Fighting floaters, eye strain, and patients in soft seeing has paid off. I thank you.

Was just wondering, what if you dropped your 10mm in your 90mm refractor. With 17mm, you're working at ~13x per inch and that should reveal all there is to see. But, it's kind of small. Jupiter responds pretty well up to about 25-30x per inch.

BTW, not clown funny, humorous funny. I got a chuckle from a few of your light hearted posts. :)

#7 stray1

stray1

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:36 AM

Norme: The "clown" thing is Joe Peschi from the movie Good Fellas.

As for dropping in a 10mm: I lose a great deal of resolution. Plus, it is quite difficult for me to track (and, thus, observe) as I must constantly make manual adjustments to my RA axis at such a high magnification.

;)

-stray-

#8 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:18 AM

AH, okay missed the reference. Thanks. LOL

Yea, me too, I do not have active tracking. But a slight tweak in RA keeps it all going.

#9 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

Stray,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Jupiter observing. :) Stay with it--half the battle of seeing detail is wanting to take the time to look (and sketch). I like your presentation.

#10 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

Hi.

Nice presentation, nice sketch.

We have a debate here between Jupiter's sketchers. You are all different and your work is good. The competition is very hard on the same target. I enjoy looking at your sketches guys, you are better than me as I don't sketch at night yet.

Andre.

#11 stray1

stray1

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:34 AM

Thanks all!

-stray-

#12 mikesemmler

mikesemmler

Messenger

• -----

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:39 AM

Stray - very good job, a new art of jupiter scetch in this forum - Thanks

Michael

#13 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

I agree that your views bring a fresh look, and they are done well!

#14 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

Stray,

Nice sketch of Jupiter :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics