Jupiter 17 Nov (The other side)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:18 AM

It's the other side of other folks' sketches, well, since I observe from the south pacific islands.

Discussion added later. Hungry.

Attached Files

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:58 AM

Norme, another very fine Norme original. It looks very nice. I'd be happy to trade night time temperatures with you.

Frank :)

#3 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:23 AM

I'm almost ready to take you up on it, Frank. Take the mosquitoes and we might have a deal.

#4 stray1

stray1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:47 AM

Norme,

Which way is north in this sketch? If it is at the top of the frame, I believe that I am just beginning to detect that thin band above the upper EQ band.

I need more time at the EP, I suppose.

Great sketch and inspiration!

(keep your blood-suckers; however...hate those things)

:grin:

-stray-

#5 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:49 AM

North is up.

Yea, hate them, too. After a night of observing, my skin is pale and lips are blue. Feel light headed, chapped lips. And those itchy red spots everywhere. Well, almost everywhere. Some of those red spots are not itchy.

#6 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:47 AM

Okay, time to add some comments. Ever since Ivano mentioned Jupiter was yellow, and Dean and George mentioned some yellow hues, well it is indeed yellow. Tawney really.

Realizing this was an eye opener as it allowed more detail to be seen. White things, for example. Normally, I would have thought they were too low contrast for a small scope. At first, the white streaks along the SEB near the GRS became evident. Those can be seen, especially coming round the trailing limb. Next, some white features between the festoons became apparent. Also, and surprisingly, a white feature could be seen just north of the NEB. I would have never though this was possible.

Jupiter must indeed have basically a tawney hue.

Also, seeing. Jason mentioned I needed a good lashing for being under such good skies. I probably deserve it, every word. But, temper that with, well, we had a bad week. What struck me as amazing is the dramatic improvement with observing Jupiter between 7 and 9 seeing. I mean, it seems the improvement is almost exponential.

In 6 or 7 seeing, you get those great moments in which detail just explodes. I do not understand seeing well enough to say, but it does appear there is a point somewhere between 7 and 9 where the disruption of the air steadies down and really turbo charges Jupiter. Maybe the total RMS in the image falls below some threshold.

One of the bucket list items (and the list keep growing) is to spot some ovals in the STrB. There did appear to be some breaks in the belt, as shown, but no distinct white oval. Those are very elusive. I recorded one only once last season.

Anyway, had Jupiter in very good skies last night. Hard to pull away. Also, observed Jupiter at 243x and 260x, and also at 109x. At low power, Jupiter was full of contrast, but small. At 170x, that seemed a good balance of contrast and image scale. It held pretty well up to 243x, with all the detail still visible but slightly weaker. At 260x, it wasn't bad, just softer and more difficult.

#7 stray1

stray1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:11 AM

Strange.

At low Mag Jupiter does, indeed, appear to have a yellowish tint to it. At higher Mag, however, I did not perceive this.

It looked more chalky white with smears of gray.

Must be my inexperience. Looks as if another "survey" is in order.

:grin:

-stray-

#8 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:17 AM

Well, not really. Hues spread out, I believe, and diminish in saturation(?) with magnification. Anyway, something happens to them, but then the eye resolution comes into play too. It has to do with the density and stimulation of rods and cones, don't ask me. So, what happens is complex.

#9 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

Norme,

Nice sketch of Jupiter :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#10 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

Norme.

Wow, you're getting better my friend. Very fine details and nicely done. I love it. You know I love details hey !

Andre.

#11 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

Me, too, Andre...it's a challenge to capture the smallest and faintest while maintaining a larger perspective. Yes, your sketches are very detailed, that's the inspiration. You capture a prominence with attention to detail I try to apply to Jupiter.

#12 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:07 AM

Continue Norme, you're on the way to get it perfect.

Andre.

#13 JimPie

JimPie

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: S.E.Michigan

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

Norme, That's a very fine sketch, That white feature in the NEB is a very interesting.Nice observation.

#14 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:22 AM

Jim, seeing those soft features has been a thrill! :)

#15 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:08 AM

Norme, what is the CMII longitude of this drawing? The main belts look similiar to what I had for the Europa transit.

#16 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:21 AM

Michael, sorry, was kind of sloppy. Sys I 325 and Sys II 49 when the sketch began at 1430. Okay, gotta look again at your sketch.

#17 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

I'm not sure, but I think you got into astro-photography and you didn't tell us. :thinking:

Norme, the details you are seeing and the way you are sketching them amazes me. :waytogo:

Ed D

#18 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

Ed, one can only :bow: to comments like that. All those features are certainly visible when conditions smile upon you.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics