• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stray1

stray1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:24 AM

After struggling with 33 Orionis for going on two weeks, I decided to settle on an easier binary this evening. Since Albireo was in a position that I did not have to slew my rig to some crazy angle to get a decent (and comfortable) view, it was the obvious target.

Easy split, even at low Mag.

At first glance, the primary appears as a blazing daffodil; a yellow orb encompassed by a diffracted corona of similar, saturated hue. It burns in charcoal ether like a freshly plucked dandelion up there in the sky. Located a solid split away, its smaller companion glows pale diamond blue; a cool and pleasing complement to the warmer primary.

Sketch notes: After viewing Chopin’s (Jason’s) raw sketch of Almaak, I figured it is time for me to stop playing around and utilize my recently purchased Astroview (90mm) for what I intended (i.e., splitting doubles and making sketches). For the work that is posted below I choose a wider field of view to allow for the inclusion of background stars. Additionally, I paid more attention to not only star placement, but also magnitude of these stars. For the sake of clarity, I have represented Albireo and companion as slightly larger than they actually appeared in my EP; both to capture their unique beauty and to allow for them to “jump out” at the viewer. For the overall composition I used a 25mm EP; to capture color, 17mm.

If I have succeeded at this venture…great! If not, please offer criticism as to how I might advance better representation(s) in future works.

Thanks for viewing.

:grin:

-stray-

Attached Files

#2 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:42 AM

Fine sketch! Just a personal opinion: although I find the cadre very original it takes away the attention to the essential (a beautiful double).

#3 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:22 AM

It is a beautiful double, and well rendered.

The cadre, yea it does pull the eye away, I guess. But, it does look nice, especially the way the "specs" are set off. That rainbow just puts me in a good mood. :lol:

#4 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

Stray,

Very good sketch of Beta Cygni 17 :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#5 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

Beautiful. Looks like 3D star. Nice color.

Andre.

#6 JimPie

JimPie

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: S.E.Michigan

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:09 AM

Well done , Colors are spot on.
Criticism: As already mentioned-too much going on around the subject.

#7 stray1

stray1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:43 AM

Jim,

Thank you!

Yes, I am ditching the "mad artist's" cadre for something more subtle. I'll probably re-render Beta Cygni as well.

:grin:

-stray-

#8 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

Stray,

This is a very fine capture of a very fine pair.

Frank :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics