2 replies to this topic

#1 pjr200

pjr200

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Staffordshire, UK

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:10 AM

Hi everybody,

This is the first time I have imaged after cleaning my primary and secondary mirror which has had quite a positive effect on image brightness last night. It took a while for the seeing to steady and by that time the secondary mirror had started to frost up, which is ashame as sirius looked very steady.

As a side note I was wondering if anybody was observing or imaging at about 21:48 UT last night (17th Novemeber) as I think I glimpsed a flash/bubbling confined to a small area above Jupiter's surface lasting about 0.5-1 sec. It reminded me of Io moving across the disc in poor seeing. Unfortunately I was not recording at the time. It was probably nothing but I would be interested to know if anybody else saw it.

Attached Files

#2 pjr200

pjr200

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Staffordshire, UK

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:10 AM

RRGB of the image above

Attached Files

#3 sfugardi

sfugardi

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: CT

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

Paul, exellent images! Interesting observation about the flash. I started imaging 90min after 21:48 and would have missed it. On the R-RGB, try taking the R channel data in Registax and only apply 67% of the sharpening used on R and then image measure in WinJupos (or whatever combine method you are using) as a Grey channel. I've done this on my last data set and it seems to boost the contrast with less graininess. Of course after getting minimal sleep anything looks good. Thanks for posting and congradulations on viewing the flash

Regards,
Steve

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics