Photo

Jupiter +GRS f25 RGB 11/18/12 Good Seeing!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 sfugardi

sfugardi

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: CT

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

I had the rare opportunity to capture Jupiter this morning with good seeing/transparency, good collimation held from last session, tight +/- 0.1degC boundary layer thermal balance, and no diagonal noise. R,G 80fps 60s, B 45fps 75s, gains 2700-2800, histograms at 65%. I stayed with my 2.5X Powermate, although conditions would have supported higher f-ratios closer to f30. Final image combined with derotated channels in WinJupos and resized 125% in PS.

2 interesting points worth noting: 1) switching from 8bit to 16bit killed the frame rate collection on my laptop even with a 400x400 ROI so I opted to stay with the 8bit avi option. This toggle may have "turned off" the diagonal noise. I cannot prove this but the noise was gone when I started imaging. Earlier in the day, I took various flats and the noise was there. Except for sightly tightening the 2 screws connecting the firewire to the camera (which I have never done, just left it hang) and reoriented the cable not to stress the cheap plastic firewire card that slips into the side of my computer, I did nothing else that would have turned off the noise 2) I also tried to toggle on the FireCapture "derotate", however, again the frame rate was cut by more than half. So my conclusion is to capture 16bit derotated Jupiter raw data, you will need a super fast computer. My company issued Lenovo T400 is 2.4GHz is not scheduled for an upgrade for at least 2 years.

Anyway, I have a ton more data to sift through, but I started my favorite GRS view.

Regards,
Steve

Attached Files

#2 WayneJ

WayneJ

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: West Chester, PA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

Nice work, Steve. I was out that morning/night but the seeing never settled down for us. Looks like you fared much better.

Regards,

Wayne

#3 Sunspot

Sunspot

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

Steve,

Looking good!

Paul

#4 sfugardi

sfugardi

Gemini

• -----

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

Paul, Wayne, Thanks! I tried to de-rotate the video data but my computer keeps locking up. I'll try taking .SER data next time out, assuming my laptap can handle it in case WinJupos can derotate that easier. I tried re-doing the data knowing that the R avi time was off by 1min but it does not seem much different than the original. There are interesting "double teeth" in the middle festoon region. I also tried subtracting flat frames from each video channel, however, I could only get Registax5 to work with it and the alignment was the only 1 point method and the result was not as good as AS2! with the noise.

Regards,
Steve

Attached Files

#5 edsplace

edsplace

Ranger 4

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

A quick question about cameras. I have the DMK21 and I am considering switching to the Flea3. Is it worth the switch for planets or do you only see an advantage with lunar images?

#6 HANTO

HANTO

Apollo

• Loc: Unterallgäu, Bavaria, Germany

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

Nice details, Steve!

Regards
Torsten

#7 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley of the Sun

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

Good work Steve! The images do look a bit dark on my monitor.

Glenn

#8 Kecktastic

Kecktastic

Skylab

• Loc: Broken Hill NSW Australia

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

Looks like really sweet data Steve with excellent depth of hi-res detail but I concur with Glenn that it looks rather dark on my screen as well.

Regards
Trevor

#9 edsplace

edsplace

Ranger 4

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

BTW I would love to process some of your raw data! There is a lot of detail in those imgage!

#10 darbyvet

darbyvet

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seneca Falls, New York

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

beautiful steve

#11 Az Frank

Az Frank

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson Arizona

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

A good job Steve! A tad brighter would help greatly. Well done!

#12 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

Nice detail, Steve. I'm with Frank. They do look a tad dark on my monitor, too. But, hey! It is better than diagonal lines.

Paul

#13 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:42 AM

VERY nice Steve - I'll join the chorus on them being a bit dark, but Hey! - lightening them is easy.....you got some great "data"..!!! :waytogo: :waytogo:

#14 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:14 AM

Steve,

That is a superb image of Jupiter :bow:
It matches very well with my visual observations a day later through my 4" f/8 fluorite. I too had superior seeing for hours on end.

It was a very cold and humid night, so opted for the 4" APO instead of the 16" dob to avoid longer cooling. I was rewarded with the best views of Jupiter I had in my lifetime with a 4". 170x binoviewing was continously sharp, contrasty and stable. The level of detail I saw was very similar to your picture, except for the very smallest details. Never thought that would be possible in such a small telescope. My sketching however is no match for your superb imaging.

#15 TorstenEdelmann

TorstenEdelmann

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Landsberg, Germany

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:10 AM

Steve,

So my conclusion is to capture 16bit derotated Jupiter raw data

Not sure how you managed to get the DeRotate checkbox enabled in 16bit mode but FireCapture only supports derotation in 8bit mode. It's literally not implemented in 16bit. So the dropping framerate has nothing to do with deroation. Maybe it's related to higher cpu load in 16bit mode or due bandwidth limits of the firewire bus.
Torsten

#16 sfugardi

sfugardi

Gemini

• -----

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

Thanks guys!
Torsten, It is most likely that I toggled the 16bit & derotation separately. In either case, the actual frame rate was cut in 1/2. Last night, I tried capturing .SER 16bit and it was as slow as .fit capture. Considering the data is 2x it is not unreasonable to expect this with a marginal laptop. Anyway, I went back to .avi mode.

So in an effort to brighten the image, I tried several different methods, all of which burnt the bright regions killing the detail. These included normalize % increase in AS2! from 60% to higher values, stretching/gamma adjusting in Reg6, stretching in PS using levels or curves and in various Images plus options. All garbage. So this morning at 3am, I stumbled over a new way to stretch and still minimize the burn. Take the RGB channnel data in WinJupos, and add R as the Lum and crank the gamma to 1.49. Then take the "RRGB" image into PS and run an auto color or stretch and like magic, brightness without the burn. There may be other methods out there, but this one seems to work well for me. I am also thinking of smoothing the R channel and resave as L to reduce graininess before combining in WinJupos.

Anyway, here's my re-do from 2 nights ago with no resizing nice and bright, ironically the same view I had this morning.

Regards,
Steve

Attached Files

#17 sfugardi

sfugardi

Gemini

• -----

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

WinJupos screen shot showing where the L channel (Red) is boosted 149% just in case there are any questions.

Regards,
Steve

Attached Files

#18 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

Congratulations Steve, great captures! You have to love working with really good data :grin:

Clear Skies,
Brian :waytogo:

#19 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

Clever approach, Steve. I have often wondered how much stretch to use or to use any at all.

When I use AS2 to stack video (.avi) and go to Registax 6 for sharpening in wavelets, Registax always asks if I want to increase intensity (stretch) when I load the TIFs. Sometimes I answer yes...sometimes no. Bottom line, I end up doing gamma, levels, etc in Photoshop, or making changes in AstraImage when I combine the RGB FITs. AI has similar boxes to adjust intensity as shown in your WinJupos screen shot. But, no de-rotation function.

With 3 minutes of video total for a single color image, I didn't think it would make a difference because at the time, I was using a C8. With a C14, I have to re-work my whole routine. The old processing routine doesn't cut it on the C14 data.

I haven't started using WinJupos. I didn't realize folks were using it instead of AI to combine LRGBs. I also notice it uses PNG files. Looks like those get converted to TIFs or JPEGs when you go into Photoshop for final? In essence, I start with AVIs, stack into a TIF or FIT depending whether I'm using AS2 or R6, sharpen in R6, combine FITs in AI and make final adjustments in PS5 for a final TIF.

Given this basic approach, I don't know if I should substitute WinJupos for AstraImage?

I hope we didn't give you a headache looking for a work around the brightness level. Obviously, it takes a little more than moving a "brightness slider." Thanks for posting the new image. It looks fantastic.

Paul

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics