• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ItsMeTony

ItsMeTony

Lift Off

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

Hi all,
I'm thinking about buying an XX12i. I already own the XT8i. My question here is, Is this a worthwhile purchase? Are the views in the 12 that much better than the 8?

Thanks
Tony

#2 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors
  • Loc: California

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

The jump from an 8" to a 12" is a very good jump. I think you are making a good choice.

#3 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

The recommened jump is from 8" to 12". that'll give you at least 1mag of better resolution. It is definitely also a step up in speed. The 12" is much faster. I don't know what eyepieces you have, but the 12" is going to require a Paracorr (for coma) and premium eyepieces like the ES or Televues, Pentax, etc...)

Noted Kevin is from Woodland Hills. Good company that. Had some good dealings with them.

#4 JohnMurphyRN

JohnMurphyRN

Mariner 2

• Loc: Near St Louis

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

Hi all,
I'm thinking about buying an XX12i. I already own the XT8i. My question here is, Is this a worthwhile purchase? Are the views in the 12 that much better than the 8?

Thanks
Tony

12" is roughly double the light grasp of the 8". Since you already have the push-to in the 8", do you need to duplicate it in the 12"?

#5 joelimite

joelimite

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Colorado Springs, CO

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

I upgraded from an XT8 a year ago. The difference is definitely worthwhile. Clusters are richer and galaxies begin to reveal some detail. The views of Jupiter, Mars, and Saturn I've had are simply astounding. I've only used my XT8 once or twice since receiving the bigger scope, if that tells you anything.

#6 TexasRed

TexasRed

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: East Texas

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:05 PM

That's the step up that I'd recommend. Unless you want to add GoTo and automatic tracking and want to go with the XT12g. That automatic tracking is pretty nice!

#7 Jeff Porter

Jeff Porter

Vostok 1

• Loc: Utah

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:44 PM

I love my XX12!! I had a 10" but I felt that the move to the 12 was worth it for DSOs and especially for galaxies. If you really like DSOs, and can get to a dark sky site, I think you will be very satisfied. If DSOs are not really your thing then I would reconsider this decision.

Just be prepared for two things where I think the 8" is better than the 12".

First is that the 12" truss will take a bit more time to set up. I have kept mine assembled in my garage at times so that i could just moved the base and then then then scope like I did with my 10", but this may not be an option for everyone.

Second is accessibility for kids if you do much outreach. With the 12" you will definitely want a stepladder for the kids to use.

The question on how essential a coma corrector is at f/5 is an ongoing debate. I use one because I already had one for my 10" scope at f/4.7. I know a lot of experienced observers who do not bother with a coma corrector at f/5.

The last thing I will ask is that considering your location is listed as Maryland, are you looking for new or used? If you are looking for something new I might also consider spending a little more and get a better scope on the used market. Otherwise the Orion is a very capable telescope.

-Jeff P

#8 TopherTheME

TopherTheME

Mariner 2

• Loc: Rochester, MI

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

I've got one and I love it. Certainly worth the jump. I'd recommend good eyepieces (I use the ES 82*'s) but I don't think a coma corrector is required. My brain does a pretty good job correcting the coma in eyepiece so I don't ever notice it unless I look really really hard for it. I've noticed the "more experienced" astronomer tends to notice it more which I'm guessing is because I have young eyes.

#9 paul hart

paul hart

Apollo

• Loc: Long Island, New York

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

I don't think you NEED a Parcorr with a f/4.9 although it couldn't hurt. My only experience looking through an XT12 was at a star party with a Stratus 13mm. I have to say it was spectacular. I consider myself somewhat of an eyepiece snob, and that Stratus really impressed me. As far as an 8 inch vs. a 12 inch. The 12 inch will blow the 8 away. :jump:

#10 Jeff Porter

Jeff Porter

Vostok 1

• Loc: Utah

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

Yes, the 12" is very capable.

At this summer's star festival at Great Basin National Park using my XX12 with a Paracorr and 13mm Ethos, the spiral arms of M51 were easily traced with direct vision all the way to the companion NGC 5195. Of course those are some of the darkest skies I have ever seen. :jump:

-Jeff P

#11 coopman

coopman

Gemini

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:31 AM

My 10" is noticably better than my 8", so I'm sure that the jump from 8" to 12" will be a very worthwhile one, if you can handle the bulk and weight of the 12".

#12 coutleef

coutleef

Skylab

• Loc: Saint-Donat, Quebec, Canada

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

i went from a 8 inch SCT to a 12 inch dob and thejump is very noticeable in many ways.

you will see more. i find a coma corrector is needed but your mileage may vary. not mentionned yet but i found that at f/5 you will need good collimation tools because that scope will be more sensiive to miscollimation than your 8 inch.

#13 Starman81

Starman81

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

XT8i to XX12i? Great move, I say! I plan on doing the same one day. I would not do away with the XT8i though. For me, it is so portable, I use it like a grab'n'go, honestly. If it weren't for cool down time needed in the colder months, it would be a true grab'n'go. So I say keep the XX12i for those dark site trips or nights when you have more time/energy and keep the XT8i for those nights you do not.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics