• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

I was getting a litlle Luna in just now, and the view quality has prompted me to ask a few questions of any one else who uses or did use one of these otas. I have never looked through a regular 127.

1.Did the optics for these get better figuring than the standard optics sets? Has any one compared one of these to the standard 127?

2. How much of a difference may it make, not having the faux-questar back and using a high-quality dilectic diagonal?

3. Has anyone compared one of these to the Russian or Synta Maks? Your thoughts?

If you do not know what i mean by ""Wegat" white 127", here is one

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

I don't own one, but I've used 'em, and know a wee bit about them.

1. No. The quality of the optics is identical.
2. It is certainly more convenient, but doesn't make any difference with images.
3. They are all similar in performance, with the ETX generally seeming better than the Syntas to me. One caveat: The white-tube ETXes do not have coatings on their correctors, and that can make for some (minor) differences in performance.

#3 outlate75

outlate75

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: MD

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

I have one that I finally fitted onto a mount last night. It was cloudy so no test yet. I have observed through a regular etx125 years ago when Mars was close. Seemed like that scope performed very well.

#4 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:46 AM

I have one that I finally fitted onto a mount last night. It was cloudy so no test yet. I have observed through a regular etx125 years ago when Mars was close. Seemed like that scope performed very well.

Am looking forward to your comments on it.

#5 outlate75

outlate75

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

Got a quick look last night,but the seeing was not good. Need a better night to test. At low power though, nice pinpoint stars on a black sky.

#6 outlate75

outlate75

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

Clouds cleared out here so tried again with the etx. Was windy and seeing unsteady mostly. Checked out the moon and got a few good views of Clavius at times. Tried a few eyepieces: 16 uo Konig, 9mm ortho, a 7 mm siebert, and even an 11mm homemade rke that I never use. Seeing wasn't good enough for the 7 mm, but others looked good. Pretty happy so far with the scope.

#7 outlate75

outlate75

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

Took this real quick with the 125 after viewing Jupiter for a while. Think that was Ganymede's shadow. Looked good even though seeing still not good here and was windy also.

Attached Files

#8 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

Very nice

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics