• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RichA

RichA

Mariner 2

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:03 PM

After having used them for decades, I found:
-ETX 90mm. One of the most consistently good optical instruments I've seen. I once tested 32 of them and found very little variation.
-ETX 105mm. One of the highest contrast planetary images I've seen. Too bad that scope was discontinued.
-ETX 125mm. Most often very good optics, but the design of the scope is not substantial enough or precise enough for the weight of the optics. They often exhibit large mirror shifts and sometimes misalignment issues.

#2 curiosidad

curiosidad

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

Hello,
Why the ETX 105 was discontinued? You know?
Best

#3 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

Hello,
Why the ETX 105 was discontinued? You know?
Best

What i have read here and there is that given all threes's price points, people just did not buy many of them.

I recently picked up the ETX 105 OTA, completing my set, so to speak (have an excellent 90mm ota from a 1990's ETX 90 RA, and an all metal "Wegat" ETX 127 OTA, already).

Saturday evening, had the 105 on my AT Voyager mount, aimmed at Jupiter Seeing was very good for a change. Best view was at about50x/inch 210x. Was impressed by the detail and contrast. Even held up at 245x, with clarity. I really like it. If someone ever starts making regular style metal backs for them, i will want one for it.

#4 curiosidad

curiosidad

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

Hello,
We know what happens to the "middle brother", I've been one of them in my family, and made ​​me much attention, je.je!

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:49 AM

-ETX 125mm. Most often very good optics, but the design of the scope is not substantial enough or precise enough for the weight of the optics. They often exhibit large mirror shifts and sometimes misalignment issues.

Those things were certainly true of the earlier examples. By the time the 125 PE came out, Meade had essentially cured those problems. The fork arms still look plastic, but are metail on the inside. Focus shift in my 125PE is very small. Certainly, the 125 can be a fussy little telescope sometimes--like all ETXes--but it is a good little scope and I still love mine after nearly seven years of use. The best part? At five-inches you can really begin to see some cool stuff--like the Helix Nebula the other night under poor conditions. Under the somewhat poor conditions that usually impel me to use my 125, Charity Hope Valentine, she really doesn't give up too much to a C8. Some of my further thoughts on the li'l gal...

http://uncle-rods.bl...-honeymoon.html

:cool:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics